05: dean

My leg has been bouncing non-stop all night out of nerves. I had no idea Sephine and Hayes would invite Paige. She never mentioned it to me either.

If I really think about it, it makes sense. Cass made an effort to befriend her once Paige was settled in after coming back. Paige and Sephine were friends before and I know Maddox still talks to her.

I just didn't expect her to be here tonight.

The food on my plate is relatively untouched despite it being a home cooked meal that I didn't have to make for once.

I was right about my suspicion that Lacey would fit in with everyone here. I wasn't quite sure why I invited her tonight. It didn't make sense to me other than she seemed like a nice person.

To be honest, I've been feeling a little lonely ever since Cass and Maddox moved in together. She is so busy with the trips they go on for business that I hardly see her. She stops by the bar usually once every two weeks to pick up a shift to keep up with her regulars.

It's not as if I'm actually lonely though. I'm always surrounded by people; it's just not the same. It kinda sucks to lose my best friend to my brother.

Lacey reminded me of Cass when I first met her. I think that's why I invited her?

I pick at a piece of chicken while Tessa and Hayes talk about some kind of recipe they want to try. Sephine and Lacey are talking to Cassidy and Maddox about their most recent trip. Grayson had to step outside to take a call from work, and Paige and I have stayed silent.

She's sitting across from me wearing a bright red sweater with flecks of paint on her face. Paige probably doesn't even realize that they're there.

I lean back in my chair as Paige gives me a questioning look, but I shake her off. "When's your next shift?" She asks, finally speaking to me.

"I was supposed to work tonight but I traded with someone from A shift so I could come tonight. I don't go back until Tuesday morning bright and early." I explain and Cass gives me a grin.

"It isn't the same when you're not here, I'm glad you came."

I look at her curiously, "You're being awfully nice tonight. What are you up to?"

Cass shakes her head, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Maddox looks just as confused as I am and that's when I know there's something going on for sure. Looks like Paige and I aren't the only one with a little secret.

Marley starts to cry from the high chair she's seated in between Hayes and Sephine. Sephine gets up to unbuckle her, "Anyone interested in changing a diaper?" She jokes but Cassidy pushes herself out of her chair.

"I'll take her."

Sephine shakes her off, "Cass, I was just joking. You don't have to do that."

"I'm already up and volunteering to do it," She smiles and I know it's her way of avoiding the conversation.

Lacey looks a bit uncomfortable to have been seated in between Cassidy and I. "So Lacey, what's your story?" Paige asks finally speaking to Lacey for the first time all night. For all the military training she has, she's not exactly being very subtle.

She shifts in her seat as she starts to answer Paige's question, "I don't really have much of one. I grew up in a small town in Virginia. I wanted to experience life for myself so I moved to New York last month leaving all my friends and family behind." I have to give Lacey some credit because she's come across as passive all night, but she doesn't back down from Paige's stare. I know for a fact that's not easy because I've been on the receiving end of her stare.