Chapter 7: First spell

– y/n's pov –

It was when we reached a stone gargoyle that Draco finally stopped walking. The gargoyle was in a shape of an eagle. A large one.

"Shit, I forgot about this" Draco muttered then he just started shouting Dumbledore's name at the gargoyle.

"Draco, you do realise that you're yelling at a gargoyle, right?" I didn't quite understand his action.

"It's not just a gargoyle. It's Dumbledore's door-knob" Draco turned to me and added.

"We need to say the password to enter his office" After staring in silence, Draco turned to go sit on the floor, resting his head against the wall. I thought he would just leave but thank lord he didn't. I didn't want to be stranded at this eerie Gargoyle corridor.

"So, you decided to wait for me? That's very nice of you" Trying my best to hide my relief, I followed his action and sat against the opposite wall.

"I'm waiting for Dumbledore, not you" Draco grumbled. Of course. Then something poked me on the side. I reached out for it, and it was his wand from his robe. A real wand.

"Put that right back in" He said as he closed his eyes. He did seem a bit tired.

At that very moment, however, I wanted to do the total opposite of "putting it right back in". A thrill sparked inside of me. A wand was in my hand. I saw Draco performing some magic earlier on, so it really was a real wand. From studying Charms book, I knew perfectly well how to use a wand and perform spells such as the one I witnessed today. I raised the wand towards Draco and drew a curve.

"Accio"

...But nothing happened. Why?

"If you thought simply copying what I said would do the magic, you're wrong. You, idiot" Draco smirked as he watched my action. I was embarrassed, but then I remembered something.

"'The more you concentrate, the more probable...'" I whispered one of the quotes from Charms and closed my eyes.

"Accio!" I drew the curve again.

"I swear to god if it didn't work this time it's your wand's pro –" I opened my eyes and recognised the change in view.

"– blem" Draco, who was sitting against the opposite wall, was now right in front of me with his silver eyes looking straight into mine, stunned. I was so surprised I threw myself backward and hit my head against the wall.

"Ouch!" It hurt. Draco didn't comment on my dumb action, though, which told me he was in quite a disbelief. I mean I myself was too.

"I thought you... Where did you learn that?" His voice was alert.

"Woah, that.. That worked right? Oh my god. My spell worked?" I shouted briskly, then Draco fetched his wand from my hand coldly.

"Have you been pretending? Putting on that I-don't-know-anything face?" He condemned me.

"No, what? No! Uh it's just –" I hesitated. Draco was obviously going to easily believe when I tell him that an unidentified someone left magic books for me and I just mastered them for fun, but he seemed appalled and I didn't want him to misconceive what he just saw. So I told him and fortunately, he cared to listen.

"...so yeah. That's how I'm a little familiar with this but I never knew it could be real." I gave him my explanation and I think I spoke a bit fast but hopefully he caught what I was saying.

"Do you know who gave you the books?" He asked as he moved to sit next to me.

"How would I know? I don't have any witch or wizard friends and I mean I didn't even know they existed before today." I clarified to him. He didn't say anything back as if he was busy digesting the cascade of information that I just laid out.

"Well I guess that adds to your list of questions then." Draco then looked at me.

"Definitely." Now I put it into words, I was more baffled by all the past unexplained occurrences including now.

"I might be able to answer some of your questions." Said Draco, shifting his stare from me to the empty corridor.

"Actually, yeah. Why is –" I was going to ask my first question, but he cut me off.

"Uh-uh. What do I get for helping you, though?" I saw his mouth forming his typical smirk.

"What do you suggest?" I let out a low growl.

"A wish every time I answer your question." He sounded like he was waiting for me to ask.

"I'll just wait for Dumbledore." I rested my head against the wall behind and closed my eyes.

"Who knows what your wishes are going to be like? I don't trust you."

"You're no fun, 'Lascelles'" He put emphasis on that name in a provoking way and it had an impact.

"Ok, fine. Why does everyone call me 'Lascelles'?" I didn't know how much longer I needed to wait for Dumbledore to show up and I had grown impatient. Whatever. I will just not be talking to him for a long time and he will eventually forget about the wishes.

"Because you come from that family. The famous Lascelles." Draco answered casually.

My parents are Mr. and Mrs. Taylor. Where this is coming from?

"Well, okay... Then why is this uh 'Lascelles' family so famous?" I resumed asking.

"Because – " Draco seemed hesitant but he didn't stop.

"– they are the first family that disobeyed to become death eaters and... Lived"

"I mean I'm alive but where's the rest? If they 'lived', why am I not living with them?"

"I'll take that as two separate questions" He smirked and continued.

"Yes, you are alive and you are not living with them because the rest is... not"

"The rest is not what –" My voice got stuck and my face rigid. He probably isn't implying that they are...

"not alive. Only you lived. That's why you're the last 'Lascelles'"