Chapter 66: The Elder Wand

– Draco's pov –

Just like that I escaped from my family with Harry. The trio didn't seem to handle well the elf's death.

"Is everyone else okay?" I asked carefully.

"Your family almost killed Hermione!" Ron yelled, approaching me.

"But I helped you escape!" I yelled back in ager. "I was the one who freed you guys!"

"Stop!" Hermione shouted. "He helped us, Ron." She struggled getting back on her feet, frowning in pain from aunt Bella's curses and Disapparition.

"You owe me, Weasley." I growled at Ron.

"Oh yeah? How do we know if we can trust you like Harry said before?" Ron muttered bitterly, glaring at me. "Yeah, you saved us but you've literally been with those death eaters for almost a year. How do we know you're not–"

Then I pulled out my ring from my finger and cut off Ron. "Before you say another word, give me back my wand." Ron threw my wand at me, still giving me an unpleasant look.

I pointed my wand at the ring and whispered. "Engorgio." Then at my spell, the ring grew bigger.

"Wait, is that–" said Hermione weakly, shock crossing her face. "That's the soul trap!"

"Yes, it is." I touched the cube on top of the ring that now had come back to its original size. "I put it on a ring to hide it and always had it on so I'm prepared" I breathed deeply "anytime, anywhere."

"How did you even get it? Did you steal it?" Harry spoke, surprised.

"Of course, I stole it." I muttered sharply and the trio gasped. 

"Ugh, I hate when people don't get my sarcasm. I did not steal it." I furrowed. "I didn't know you hold me in such low regard."

"Well, you've made it painfully clear since day 1 that you hold us in the lowest regard so don't blame us." Ron scoffed and I simply ignored.

"Believe it or not, Rolf trusted me and let me borrow it." I sighed. "I hate to admit it as much as you guys, but we are on the same side." The trio stared at me silently and in disbelief. 

"By the way, where's Kyle? Didn't he leave with you guys to hunt for the horcruxes? How's that going?" I asked.

"The last Horcruxes are in Hogwarts and Kyle's working to destroy them. We must go back and help him before Vo– he and the death eaters come, and" Harry looked at my wand and continued. "only you can kill him."

A number of huge bangs shook the castle, and out in the dark night, I saw bursts of light in the distance and heard a weird, keening scream. I looked down at my watch: It was midnight. Voldemort has come.

"I know that you are preparing to fight." Voldemort and the death eaters broke the protection spell around the castle and marched through the ground of Hogwarts. There were screams amongst the students, some of whom clutched each other, looking around in terror. 

Voldemort shouted. "Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood. The battle is already won. My Death Eaters will overpower you, and I have the Elder wand you've been looking for, Harry." There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come forward, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

"All the Horcruxes are destroyed." Hermione whispered, joining the crowd confronting the death eaters.

"Is Draco alive? Draco, are you there?" Then I heard my mother's voice.

"Yes," I breathed back, stepping forward to stand at the front line of the crowd. My body was mildly shaking from the terror they had brought upon Hogwarts.

"Draco Malfoy," Voldemort hissed my name and I gulped. "Did you help Harry escape?"

My breathing got heavier and mother was supporting me. "No, my Lord, as I've said hundreds of times before Weasley boy disarmed him, attacked him! Harry just dragged Draco–"

"I did not ask you, Narcissa." Voldemort yelled. "Did you help Harry escape?"

"...Yes. Yes, I did." I answered firmly.

"You betrayed your master yet again." Voldemort slowly pulled out a wand from his robe. "Do you know what this wand is?"

"The Elder Wand." I replied, my stomach lurching.

"Correct... now watch what I will do to you and your filthy friends with this hollow you never succeeded in obtaining. It's pathetic. I will prove to you how pointless all your actions have been." Voldemort pointed the wand at me, his fierce eyes glaring straight into mine. And I remembered what Harry told me.

"I'm sorry but you're wrong this time." I shouted and Voldemort smirked.

"How am I wrong?" Voldemort barked.

I took a deep breath and shouted again. "To truly own the Elder Wand, you have to have conquered the previous owner. Even though I couldn't kill Professor Dumbledore, I was the one who disarmed him." Voldemort's frown was growing deeper. I continued. "And that means I conquered him, conquered the owner of the Elder Wand. The wand gave me its allegiance, even though I never knew it," I peeked over at Harry, "and even though I never touched it." Harry nodded to me.

"I am the true owner of the Elder wand!" I yelled and pointed my wand at Voldemort. 

Voldemort yelled back "ENOUGH! AVADA KEDAVRA!"

"EXPELLIARMUS!" I quickly shouted.

The bang was like a cannon blast, and the golden flames that erupted between us, at the dead center of the circle we had been treading, marked the point where the spells collided. I saw Voldemort's green jet meet my own spell, saw the Elder Wand fly high, spinning through the air towards me, and I had come to take full possession of it. 

I caught the wand in my free hand as Voldemort fell backwards, arms splayed, the slit pupils of his scarlet eyes rolling upwards. Voldemort hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant. 

Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse, and I stood with two wands in my hand.

"Quick, Draco! Get his soul before it leaves his body!" Hermione was keeping the ring for me and she threw it across to me. I caught it while running full speed towards Voldemort's body. 

"There's a spell called 'Tractionem'. You gotta be careful here. It's not 'Traction-em,' it's 'Track-tio-nem'"

Remembering Rolf's words, I opened the trap with both hands and shouted "TRACTIONEM!"

As I did, a massive blue spark was emitted, forming a black-hole like matter that extracted Voldemort's soul from his body. 

"Aaah!" The power was so immense that I had to stand firm on both my feet, not to get dragged by the trap. Then with a loud thud, the trap closed itself.

Heavily breathing, I stood still. 

"You did it!" Kyle ran to me.

"We must find Rolf." I stared down at Voldemort's shell and a voice called from behind.

"You just did!" I looked behind and Rolf was gesturing me to come inside of Hogwarts.