Chapter 51: Twist

– y/n's pov –

"What are you doing?" I pushed Kyle away. The kiss was so unexpected.

"I'm... I'm sorry about that." Kyle muttered, looking like he did something terrible.

"Kyle..." I sighed.

"And I'm sorry that I won't be able to help you with your plan." He then walked away.

I lost Draco and now I lost Kyle too. But my belief that my death is the only way to destroy Voldemort did not change. It only strengthened.

"You look beautiful, Miss." The house-elf gasped as she finished dressing me up. 

I looked in the mirror. 

I didn't particularly like the dress but it still looked good

"Miss, do you want me to take off your necklace?"

"What neckl–, oh..." Then I realised the sapphire necklace from Draco. I had forgotten about this. Then I faintly blushed out of embarrassment at the thought of Draco seeing me with the necklace last night at the feast.

"...no, I'll just keep it beneath the dress." 

I just... didn't want to take it off. He wouldn't be able to see it anyways if I hide it... 

"Nifa?" I called the house-elf.

"Yes, Miss?" 

"What's the date today?"

"It's the 22nd of November, Miss. Why?" 

I hadn't been checking the calendar for a long time because it scared me of how quickly time passed. And today, the day where I must give myself up to be one with the darkest wizard had to be...

"...My birthday. It's my birthday..." 

"Oh! Happy birthday, Miss! You should have told us earlier, we would have prepa– Miss..? Miss! Are you okay?"

I burst out crying. The house elf's voice was blurry. I was scared. I was terrified. After the Merging, I... I must die. I wasn't ready to take on the heroic responsibility and sacrifice myself.

I am only 17. I want to be selfish. I want to live. But if I don't then people will suffer... 

Draco will suffer.

That evening, death eaters had penetrated Hogwarts and I marched with them right beside Voldemort. 

They barged into classes and soon yells and shouts filled the corridor. 

The professors and students were not prepared for our unexpected visit and soon, I heard unmistakable noises of dueling and my heart seemed to fail. 

"Stupefy!" 

The professors were unarmed and thus stunned on the spot and the death eaters ordered the students to assemble in the ballroom. Jets of light flew in every direction as students attempted to duel the death eaters, but... they were weak. 

I wanted to shout "stop". I couldn't see the students fight and get hurt. I wanted to tell them that everything will be alright but the moment I do, I knew my plan would fail. 

The Merging must be successful to stop this...

Horrified students obediently followed their command and soon, everyone arrived at the ballroom. The room was filled with sniffling noises. I stood at the front stage along with the death eaters. I scanned the crying crowd in front and saw Harry, Hermione, Amber, and Shane... all looking shocked and immensely disappointed. I looked away. I felt guilt.

"Silence!" As Voldemort bellowed, the noises died out.

"Hello, students. Don't worry, you are safe... yet." He then began speaking in his usual high pitched, cold voice.

"There is no good and evil... There is only power and those too weak to seek it. Today, I am going to see who will join me in my journey." Then Voldemort turned to me.

"Beautiful dress... just like the one I sent you before. I always pick out the best for you." He hissed. 

Wait, the prom dress was... from him? Now, it makes sense. He'd been constantly giving me hints of his return. And the man I'd seen in the rain... It was probably him...

"Thank you, my lord." I bowed but my heart plummeted at his next sentence.

"But you... always choose the worst for me..."

I gasped and lifted my head up to face him. My body stiffened. His lips curled into a smirk.

"Bring him!" Voldemort shouted and there was a loud thudding noise from the entrance gate. There were gasps and yells amongst the crowd as the gate opened and entered death eaters with... Kyle?

My breathing got heavy and I began panting at the sight.

"Kyle!" I ran down to Kyle, who was severely injured and was being dragged by two death eaters on each side of him. 

"Oh, no! Kyle!" Amber and Shane came running towards us but were stopped by the death eaters.

"No! Stop!" I yelled but...

"Stupefy!" 

They were stunned immediately. I gasped, looking at their motionless bodies. I tried fetching the wand from one of the death eaters but it was useless.

"Flipendo!" The other death eater cast a spell and I was knocked backward, then thrown against the wall.

I hit my head hard and the throbbing pain made me nauseated. I slowly lifted my head up to look at the front stage where Voldemort was... and my eyes met with Draco's but I couldn't read the expression on his face. The two death eaters threw Kyle on the floor. The crowd continued whimpering and gasping.

"Silence! Or you won't be able to get out of here!" Voldemort ordered and now there were only quiet and feeble noises.

"Y/N Lascelles... You thought you could fool me?" He growled and I was still struggling to breathe properly.

"Kyle! My son, look up..." Voldemort hissed at Kyle and Kyle opened his eyes to look up at him with an effort. There were bloodstains all over his clothes and on his face. He struggled to get up on his feet.

"Tell me about Y/N's little act..." Voldemort snarled at him but Kyle didn't speak. He was still lying on the floor helplessly in agony. Voldemort then turned to Draco.

"Draco... did you know?"

"...No"

And tears began strolling down my cheeks. I felt a sense of betrayal but... I was hoping he would say no.

"Well, take out your wand,"

I knew what he was going to do now.

"kill her." Voldemort snarled.

"What?" Draco's eyes widened in horror.

"Kill her." Voldemort repeated and Draco looked at me. The noises in the room began getting louder again and Voldemort yelled.

"Kill her!"