Chapter 52: Imperio

– y/n's pov –

Voldemort then took out his wand and pointed at Draco. 

"No!" I shouted but only helpless coughs were heard.

"Kill her or you will die." Voldemort's piercing voice filled the room. Draco seemed paralysed with fear but he didn't move.

Draco... Please, just do it. I mouthed to him but he shook his head subtly. Voldemort then put his wand closer to Draco, its tip now prodding his neck.

"One last chance, Draco... There will be no more patience for you..."

Draco's breathing got heavy and he... smiled faintly.

He was not going to kill me. I had to do something.

I closed my eyes and... focused.

'The more you concentrate, the more probable...'

...Good bye, Draco.

– Draco's pov –

I was frightened and my body stiffened. But hurting her is the last thing I'd ever want to do.

Death did not seem to be that bad, anyways. I craved freedom from all the pressure and threats. Life was already hell to me and the only thing that would hold me back from death was... no longer by my side. 

I showed her my smile that she loved so much for the last time as a good-bye and Y/N closed her eyes.

"...Weak." Voldemort hissed in my ear.

But suddenly, Y/N opened her eyes and stared at me. Her eyes were... glowing red. Then she whispered something and...

"Good. Don't make me wait next time." I heard Voldemort's voice.

...Huh? I looked down at my hand and... and I had my wand out. I gasped and promptly lifted my head to look straight ahead. 

Y/N? 

My heart stopped at the sight laid in front of my eyes. Y/N was lying on the floor, motionless. 

For a moment, I was choked. I couldn't hear anything apart from the ringing in my ears. When I was finally able to make sense of what just happened, sounds began flooding in again, making my head throb. The crowd was sobbing.

She Imperiused me to... to kill her.

"Y/N!" I bawled, running to her. I knelt down on the floor, pulling her helpless body into my arms. 

"Y/N? Y/N! Open your eyes, please. Oh... Y/N, please..." 

My tears fell on her cold cheeks. I brushed her face with my hand, hoping she would wake up any second and look at me with her beautiful eyes and her beautiful smile... But she didn't. I buried my face against hers and I wept uncontrollably.

She's dead. Y/N... is dead. And I killed her. 

"Hogwarts, watch! This is what happens when you act against me. When I come back, come back stronger and more powerful, you will be making your choices." Voldemort shouted bitterly as the Merging had failed.

"Go get him." As Voldemort ordered, two death eaters came and started dragging me away from her.

"No!" I fought. I couldn't hold my anger. I pulled out my wand again and yelled at them. I knew the consequences of this spell perfectly well but I didn't care.

"Crucio!" 

I expected the death eaters to stumble on the floor, screaming in excruciating pain. But they didn't. They instead laughed and so did Voldemort.

"Crucio!" I cast again but it didn't work. 

"Ah... You can't enjoy the pain and torture of others... can you?" Voldemort slowly came down from the stage and approached us. I held Y/N tighter in my arms as he got closer. He stood right in front of us, staring down at me.

"That good heart of yours... Isn't it painful, Draco?" He bent down and held out his hand. I tried glaring at him but my fears didn't let me. I felt miserable, not being able to do anything, feeling so powerless. I looked down at Y/N.

"Go back to where you belong." Voldemort warned and he disappeared with the death eaters. My father gave me a disgusted look and left.

When the death eaters disappeared from Hogwarts, all students were left with horror. There was only silence remaining in the big room and I... couldn't take my eyes off Y/N. Soon, spells wore off and all the stunned students and professors came back to normal, and a huge crowd was formed around us.

"Y/N!..." Amber fought through the crowd and she fell silent when she spotted Y/N. Kyle limped his way through the crowd as well and sat beside me.

"What... what have I done..?" I was almost breathless and I could barely hear my voice.

I lost her.