Chapter 19: Welcome to the Team

– y/n's pov –

Quite surprisingly, the next couple of days passed by quickly without nothing much happening, and it was already Friday. Draco didn't talk to me nor did he give me his death glares. This was what I wanted but I just felt strange inside. He'd been acting like I was invisible.

Even when I sat with him this one time with Kyle, Shane, and Amber, he just sat there quietly. He did chuckle at some of Shane's jokes but even when I was staring at him very noticeably, hoping he would react in some way, his eyes never fell on me. He persisted to stay this way until our last class on Friday.

It was probably the Friday effect but classes were really boring and felt longer than usual. My last class of the day was Potions, and this time I could sit next to Cedric. Draco sat far behind us in the classroom. When we were making potions, Cedric and I paired up, and we had a lot of fun (making explosions) which obviously annoyed Snape, but made us laugh.

But, to be honest, I was not so caught up in the "fun" with Cedric. I caught Draco staring at me and our eyes met a number of times. Though he looked away quickly, he finally showed that I was no ghost to him. He even cared to talk to me after class.

"Y/N,"

I almost missed this voice.

"Hi, Draco."

"Dumbledore asked me to give you flying lessons. Can you meet me at 5 at the Quidditch pitch before dinner?" Draco spoke awkwardly.

Flying lessons? Shit, I've been longing to learn how to fly. I had Cheerleading practice at 4 which ended at 6 but since I learned the routine quite fast and the team was looking strong, Alexa confidently changed it to an 1 hour training for today.

"Sure," I kept the excitement to myself but then I remembered that I didn't have the equipment.

"I don't have a broomstick, though?"

"Don't worry about it. See you at 5 then." Draco then walked away at his usual fast pace.

Cheerleading practice ended a lot earlier than expected (we didn't even practice for an hour). Our team's routine looked flawless and everyone was satisfied. We all then returned to our common room and Alexa gave me something that made my heart skip a beat. It was the uniform.

"Wow," I smiled brightly

"There's a cheer tradition before every game and you need to be wearing this."

"What tradition?"

"Pretty simple. The cheerleaders of two competing teams just make a dramatic entrance during the dinner feast and run around the Great Hall to hype people up. This is some sort of privilege to us because we can let loose and literally do anything and Dumbledore wouldn't care."

"Anything like what?" I chuckled.

"You'll see it later, anyways. Now hurry and go get changed!" Alexa pushed me towards the girls' dorm and we laughed.

I changed into the uniform and tied my hair half up/half down with a high ponytail and the green bow.

When I came out to the common room, many eyes fell on me.

"How do I look? Flattering enough?" I made a spin in front of her and Alexa gasped.

"You look gorgeous, Y/N! Oh and also, this is for you." Alexa then handed me this box that she's been hiding behind her back. I opened it and saw a pair of white cheer shoes.

"Alexa -" I was so touched I couldn't say anything.

"Welcome to our team."

"Shit, I gotta go." When I checked the time, it was very close to 5.

"Go where?" Alexa asked while putting on makeup on my face.

"Dumbledore asked Draco to give me flying lessons"

"And Draco said yes..?" Alexa sounded confused.

"I mean yea..?"

She then gave me that weird what's-going-on-between-you-two look.

"Don't give me that look! It's not like I asked him to."

"Alright, but yea... be careful 'cus it's -"

"- Draco Malfoy, I know" I finished Alexa's sentence. She smiled.

"When the dinner starts, don't go straight to the Hall but meet us here. Okay?"

I nodded and darted outside to the Quidditch pitch.

I saw a tall figure, waiting for me from distance. As I ran to him, I could hear him complaining.

"I think I asked you to meet at 5pm sharp... Y/N," His grumbling then ceased down when he looked at me. He seemed surprised.

"Why are you wearing that?"

"Because... I... am... in the... Cheerleading team" I panted, bending down with my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath from the running.

"Since when?"

"Since uh first day?"

"How did I not know?"

"Well, we simply didn't talk, Draco."

He stopped with his questions and then instead mumbled something.

"...You look good"

I looked up at him, surprised. Did I just hear him say that? For real? I definitely did not expect to hear a compliment from him. It felt good.

"Thanks." I smiled awkwardly, and Draco quickly looked away, handing me a broomstick.

"This is one of the school ones, it's pretty bad. You should buy your own."

"Where can I buy one?"

"Diagon Alley..." Realising the confused look on me at the word, he added nonchalantly.

"I'll take you there someday."

This sentence played over and over in my head. Does that mean we could be friends?

Despite my worries, Draco's flying lesson was actually quite fun. He was giving me the frustrated look most of the time, but still, he was acting like the very first day. Hogwarts Dinner is at 6:30 and we had half an hour left. I thanked him for his time and turned to walk back inside, but Draco stopped me.

"Wait -"

I turned around and he asked.

"Can we talk?"