Chapter 49: One Step

– y/n's pov –

"Draco!" I gasped and flung my arms around him. But the smile on my face soon faded.

"Draco..?" When I pulled away from him, his cold face was looking down at me. He had not shown me such face since... a long time ago.

"My god, look at you..." He had gotten skinnier and I touched his paler face. 

First, I was upset. I snuck out and travelled all the way to see him, risking my life, and he was giving me the cold face. He didn't even smile. The first thing he said to me after not seeing each other for a long time was:

"Why are you here?" He frowned a bit.

"Draco, I-" But before I could finish my sentence, he walked passed by me and headed towards the dungeon staircase.

What is going on? I sprinted to stop him from walking away further. I stood in front of him again and asked.

"I risked my life to come here to see you because I... missed you. Did something happen..?" 

But his response remained bitterly cold.

"Well, you saw me so now there's nothing holding you back here. You should leave." He then proceeded to walk forward and I stopped him by standing in front of him again.

"What's wrong with you, Draco? Did you... did you not miss me?" I felt a lump in my throat.

"I'm tired. Let me go." Draco spoke coldheartedly. He tried walking pass by me again but I grabbed his arm.

"Talk to me! What's gotten into you?" My voice raised and Draco glared down at me.

"You want me to talk to you?" He then walked towards me, placing his face closer to mine, and he whispered... 

"I've actually been so relieved that you left... left me alone and gave me space because I have matters in my life that are so much more important than you."

...My heart dropped.

"You... you don't mean that." I was shocked that he said that. It was stinging.

"Think however you want," Draco then shoved my hand off of his arm and looked at Kyle.

"enjoy your ride back home, she can be a pretty good entertainment." He spoke condescendingly.

"Oi! Watch your mouth, Draco." I heard Kyle's heightened voice. Draco ignored and walked away, leaving me standing still, stunned. 

"Y/N, you okay?" Kyle came running to me. I could feel the tears strolling down my cheeks slowly. I was not able to think straight.

"Draco, if you take another step forward," By my words, Draco stopped walking and stood still. 

"we're done." My voice was trembling. There was rage howling inside me and...

Draco took a step forward.

He disappeared through the dark corridor. 

At that moment, I felt irresistible anger. I hated him for saying mean things. I hated him for hurting me. But what I hated the most is that despite all... I was worrying about him.

– Kyle's pov –

After what happened at Hogwarts, Y/N seemed to be going through a hard time. She barely came out of her room. I wanted to ask if she was okay but I decided to give her some space. 

It was about a week later when she finally came out of her room, seeming overtly well. She would laugh out loud at every silly joke that I made and be enthusiastic to do anything.

I knew perfectly well that she was pretending and it was heartbreaking to see her act that way, to see her try so hard.

Why does it have to be him?

– y/n's pov –

Being left behind like that felt horrible. I don't get him. What is he going through? But he hurt me and it was truly painful. It felt as if there was a hole in my heart all of a sudden. I thought this shithole couldn't get any worse but he made it almost unendurable.

I hid myself in my room for about a week. Everything reminded me of him. 

One night, I was lying in my bed, staring out the window. Through the dark foggy air, I saw him. Our eyes met. I tried tracing his figure with my finger but he disappeared.

I saw him in my dreams too. He would sit next to me on the bed, gazing down at me, caressing my face with his warm hand. Then I had to wake up only to realise that it was all a dream that... it was all in my head. I hated it.

Kyle was being very supportive as usual and I felt really sorry and thankful. He brought me food at my door everyday even though I didn't eat them. I felt like I could actually die before Voldemort could do anything to me; not that it's a bad idea, though.

But I had to move on. You're being pathetic, Y/N. Move on.

When I freed myself from my room, I tried hard to be casual. I didn't want to disturb Kyle. He himself must be going through some shit right now as well. 

I made sure to make everything seem perfectly normal. I smiled and laughed again. But whenever I came back to my room at night, I found myself unable to get my head off of him...

"Y/N, Y/N?" 

I opened my eyes and saw Kyle sitting beside me. Streak of sunlight was fighting its way into my room through loosely closed curtains.

"Kyle? Why wake me up so early?" I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"It's not so early." Kyle chuckled. I checked the pendulum clock and it was pointing 12pm.

"I overslept?" My eyes widened.

"Yup, and you need to get ready for the feast tonight at... the Malfoy's." Kyle seemed hesitant to finish his sentence.

"Oh... right, yeah." I laughed it off awkwardly.

November rolled around. It's been 2 months. Things... were to happen soon.

"Oh, and... the Dark Lord will be there. Are you ready?"

"What..? I thought it was just the death eaters." I gasped.

"I eavesdropped my parents' conversation earlier on. He will be there." Kyle sounded wary.

"Why is he... So he's gathering us..? That's a bad sign. Something is about to happen..." I grew nervous and Kyle put his hands on my shoulders.

"We will find out tonight." He smiled nervously and got up to leave the room. But I had something in my mind apart from Voldemort.

"Kyle, will -" 

"Hm?" Kyle turned around but I couldn't finish my question.

"Uh... nothing. Don't worry." Then I smiled lightly and Kyle left the room.

This is absurd. Forget about it. Forget about him.