Chapter 44: Come to me...

– y/n's pov –

Voldemort nodded slowly at my words and let me go. Yes, now go join the death eaters, give me space to save both Harry and Cedric. And he did walk back to the death eaters, making a speech.

"You've heard her..."

How should I set Harry free? I must think... Then a spell came into my mind. Diffindo! The Severing Charm! The charm could be used to precisely and accurately cut something but... if used inappropriately, it can cause death or injury... I must succeed.

When Voldemort was far down the hill with the death eaters, my heart began skipping a beat. It was pounding like I thought I was getting a heart attack.

Y/N, do it! Without hesitation, I limped towards Cedric, held the Triwizard Cup, and with every bit of concentration on Harry, I pointed my wand at the headstone he was tied to and shouted "Diffindo!"

Soon after Harry was untied and fell from the headstone. Yes! I did it! But there was no time to celebrate the success of the spell. Death eaters and Voldemort directed their heads towards me and Harry. They were busy searching for their wands in their robes and before they could take them out, I had to quickly summon Harry.

"Accio!" I yelled, pointing my wand at Harry.

Harry flew into the air and soared towards me. In the blink of a second, Harry was back with me and Cedric on the ground.

"Hold Cedric!" I shouted at Harry and without much thought, he grabbed Cedric's arm and the Cup by the handle.

I heard Voldemort's scream of fury at the same moment that I felt the jerk behind my navel that meant the Portkey had worked... It was speeding us away in a whirl of wind and colour again; and Cedric was moving along with us... We were going back.

I felt myself slam flat into the ground. I had closed my eyes while the Portkey transported us, and I kept them closed now. I did not move.

All the breath seemed to have been knocked out of me. My head was swimming so badly. To hold myself steady, I tightened my hold on the two things I was still clutching: the cold handle of the Triwizard Cup and... Cedric's body.

Shock and exhaustion flooded me. There were voices everywhere, footsteps, gasps, screams... Please... just be a nightmare that would pass... I pulled Cedric's cold body into my arms tightly, weeping. Harry sat beside, clutching Cedric tightly. He began weeping with me.

"Y/N! Harry!" Professor Dumbledore came running to us. Soon, the dark shadows of a crowd of people pressed in around us.

"He's back..." Harry yelled.

"He's back! Voldemort is back!"

I could barely see the faces of people with the tears that filled up my eyes.

"My god... Diggory!" I whispered.

"Professor Dumbledore... he's dead!" My voice trembled and the words were repeated, shouted.

"He's dead!" "He's dead!" "Cedric Diggory! Dead!"

The voices were ringing in my ears and they were hurting.

"Y/N, let go of him," I heard Professor Dumbledore's voice say, but I couldn't let him go. I held onto him tighter and buried my face in his cold rigid chest. I couldn't feel his heart. I let out louder cries. The memories of him played in front of me like a film reel: When we first met on my first day of Hogwarts... all those Potions classes... practicing together for this bloody tournament... and fighting together in the maze... his smiles.