Chapter 62: Chance

– Draco's pov –

"Shut up, Granger. Nobody, nothing can bring her back." I muttered brusquely but inside, I was really hoping that she was right. That I could see Y/N again, not in the mirror, but in real life.

"Hermione, is that true?" asked Kyle.

Hermione snorted "Remember when I barely came out of the library? I just wanted to do something for Y/N because I don't know why but it felt like I could do something. Back then, I came across this book about Newt Scamander, one of the greatest Magizoologists in history. It talked about all these different magical beasts and plants that he used to house in his suitcase, which has an undetectable extension charm. Then there was a section about this sacred magical tree called 'Neshama' that can summon a soul back into the physical form. After searching through literally every single book, it was the first time that I sensed hope. But the problem was Newt Scamander died and nobody knows where his suitcase is, and everything about his family is unknown except for their names. Accordingly, they have fled from the wizarding world because there were so many witches and wizards attempting to steal the suitcase."

"Then how did you–"

"The good thing was, wait do you guys not remember? Rolf Scamander used to attend Hogwarts, though only for one semester during the 1st year. I mean he was very quiet, yeah makes sense. Anyways, it was after the Christmas break when I found a yellow quill lying on the library corner that had initials 'R.S' engraved on it. I used to see Rolf a lot in the library so I figured it was his. I kept it to give it back to him but that was when I didn't know I'd never see him again at Hogwarts. Luckily, I didn't throw it away and kept it with me so I used the quill as a tracking device to find Rolf."

"Did he have the suitcase?" At my question, Hermione nodded.

Hermione's pov in the past–

The quill led me to a flat in London with a big green door. It definitely stood out and it was hard not to know if I was in the right place.

"Hello?" I knocked on the door and a boy seemingly around my age came out.

"Hi- uh, how can I help you?" I couldn't make out who it was straight away but it was Rolf.s

"Wait, you look... familiar." Rolf spoke.

"I'm Hermione. You may not remember but I was there when you attended Hogwarts." When I introduced myself, I could see Rolf's face turn rigid.

"I'm sorry I think- I think you got the wrong address." Rolf hurriedly tried closing the door but I caught it before he could shut it.

"I suppose you lost this 5 years ago." I handed him his yellow quill.

"How did- no, I don't know what you're talking about." Rolf stuttered nervously.

"Rolf Scamander, I need your help." I asked calmly but he kept pretending otherwise.

"I'm sorry I don't know who Rolf is I can't hel-"

"I'm not here to steal the suitcase." I cut him off.

"What..?"

"My friend is dead and I really really need your help." I blurted out and Rolf just silently stood there, staring at me, stunned. Then a middle-aged woman, Mrs. Scamander? came out from behind Rolf. She scanned the street warily and looked at me.

"Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Hermione Granger and I-"

"You can finish all that inside. Come on in." 

"We can't help you with that." Said Mrs. Scamander sharply as we sat around a dining table.

"But-"

"It's too high of a cost, young lady. I suppose the book didn't tell you about its price."

"What price..?" I asked.

"A soul for a soul."

"A soul?" My eyes widened.

"Neshama is a sacred tree. It follows the order of nature, of universe. In order to break it, you need something to balance it out." She explained.

"...Is there anything else that I need?" 

"Honey, please tell me you won't kill another person to save your friend." Mrs. Scamander showed a worried look. 

"I... just want to know everything the book didn't tell me, Mrs. Scamander."

"Well, follow me." She rose from her seat and walked into a room. When I followed her, she handed me a small cubed metal box, magically radiating blue. 

"Woah, what is this?" It was a lot heavier than it seemed and I almost dropped it.

"This," She spoke as I handed her back the box. 

"is what you use to trap a soul. You open it, cast a spell, which I won't be teaching you, and then it will extract a soul out of a body. It only works when a soul has a weak connection to its body, meaning a dying body." She put the box back into a golden cabinet with a lock.

"So you trap a soul, give it to Neshama, and that's it?" I asked curiously and Mrs. Scamander stared at me with hints of cautiousness in her eyes.

"I think I've already shared more than necessary amount of information with you, darling. I am sorry about your friend but I'm afraid we can't help you further." She smiled sadly.

"But Mrs-"

"No, honey. It's not just because of the mandatory sacrifice. I'm talking about the unforeseen repercussions by messing with the law of nature but above all, Neshama isn't generous."

Hermione's pov –

"So... there's that. We have a solution but I'm not sure..." I told Kyle and Draco about my visit to Scamander's.

"What does she mean by 'Neshama isn't generous'?" asked Kyle.

"I am guessing that even if we have everything that we need. It might not help us. Plus, we don't even know everything that we need." I sighed.

Draco muttered in a low voice "But if that's the only way..."

I knew what he was going to say "Draco I don't think-"

"We must do it." and Draco interrupted.

"How are going to convince them to help us? We need the box AND we need a soul. Who are you gonna kill? Come on, you are talking murder here." I uttered.

"I know whose soul to trap." Draco spoke solidly.

"Whose?" I asked and Draco's eyes blazed.

"You should know who I'm talking about."