Chapter 48: When our eyes fail to see

– y/n's pov –

After Draco's family left, I was alone in my new room. It was a bit colder now that he was not by my side.

"Y/N, can I come in?" Then I heard Kyle knocking on my door.

"Yea." I replied and Kyle walked in carefully. I was sitting on my bed, staring out the windows. Kyle joined and sat next to me. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked softly.

"Dreadful." I smiled sadly, still staring at the trees lightly dancing in the night breeze.

"...Now that we are prisoned in this house together, I just wanted to -" Kyle spoke and I cut him off. I just didn't get him.

"Kyle... can I ask you something?" I asked and Kyle slowly nodded.

"You denied it but we certainly were distant for a long time back in Hogwarts. Why? Why did you avoid talking to me? Please, be honest." At my question, Kyle seemed startled. He didn't speak for a while and when he finally opened his mouth... I was startled.

"...Because I liked you." His green eyes stared straight into mine and I was lost for words. Kyle liked me..? Kyle let out a deep sigh.

"I'm being honest. I just couldn't face you properly because I knew I would make a mistake. Draco and you, both of you are my friends and you surely know how defensive Draco could be. I didn't want to cause any trouble or drama..." Kyle chuckled awkwardly.

"I'm sorry if that... hurt you but it was for the best." He seemed sincere and I was still lost for words. Now I get why Amber called me "dumb" before. It all makes sense now... 

"I thought I'd be over this... over you if I take time to wash down these feelings but..." Kyle seemed hesitant and he added.

"I'm failing to..."

Does this mean he still...

"I still like you, Y/N." Kyle spoke softly then suddenly buried his face in his hands.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I don't want to ruin us. Forget I said that." He then blurted out and he made me chuckle.

"Kyle, it's okay. Thank you for telling me but..." I couldn't finish the sentence but Kyle knew what I meant.

"I know, Y/N. Your heart belongs to someone else."

Kyle was correct and I was missing that "someone else" already. I sighed.

"I'm sorry Kyle... but, would it be selfish if I said I still want the old 'us' back?" I asked and Kyle lifted his head up to look at me again.

"I'd love to." He smiled and I smiled back.

I miss Hogwarts.

September 1st... 2nd... 3rd... 7th... 15th... Days flew by, stuck at Kyle's manor.

And I miss him.

Kyle and I had become good friends again since the talk and thankfully, he was actually really casual around me. We killed time together mostly by watching movies, stargazing, talking about random things, and... that was pretty much it. Everyday was the same and we were growing tired of it.

October rolled around and we were craving something new badly. There still were no updates or news from Voldemort and it felt like it's not happening. Then one day, we were having a movie night in Kyle's room as usual but then Kyle came up with an idea.

"Let's go to Hogwarts." He spoke suddenly.

"You know we can't." I responded bitterly and he threw popcorn at me.

"We can just visit for like an hour and come back. How did I not think of this?" Kyle then sat up straight and looked at me.

"Would that... would that work?" I asked with a leap of hope, looking back at him.

"Potentially, but it needs to happen at midnight. Are you fine with that?" Kyle was being serious.

"'Are you fine with that?' Are you kidding me? Of course I'm fine with it! Oh my god. Are we actually going to?" Then I rose from the couch abruptly out of excitement and so did Kyle. 

"Yes! We are so dumb we didn't think of this earlier." Kyle sounded thrilled and I was too. It was when we were high-fiving and hugging out of excitement, that I heard a loud swoosh wind noise from outside the window. We both winced and then burst into laughter.

"That almost got me." I chuckled.

 "Mhmm. By the way, we must be extremely careful." Kyle giggled and I nodded in agreement.

"When should we do it?" I asked.

"As soon as possible..? Maybe tonight?" Kyle smiled brightly and I smiled back.

I get to see Draco.

We snuck out of the house at around 3am after making sure that even the house elves were asleep. We couldn't Apparate to Hogwarts due to the magical protections so we had to fly. Since I didn't have my broom with me, Kyle and I flew on his.

When we arrived at Hogwarts, the corridors were dimly lit and we hurriedly headed down to our common room. My heart was pounding at the thought of being in the same place with the boy I'd been missing badly.

The Slytherin common room door opened and we stepped into the cozy place that caused acute nostalgia for our days in Hogwarts when nothing was happening... Before walking towards Draco's room, I stopped and turned around to face Kyle. He showed me a smile, though I knew it was a forced smile, and I proceeded with my steps.

Soon, I was standing in front of his door. My heart was racing. A year ago, Draco and I were here with our lips locked in each other's. I felt butterflies just by the thought of his touch. Behind this door, there is Draco. I took a deep breath and... creaaaaak I opened his door and...

Huh? 

Draco wasn't there.

"Draco?" I whispered, wandering around the room, but still there was no response. I stopped by his bed, where him and I created unforgettable memories.

Where could he possibly be at this hour..?

I hurried out of the room back to the common room. Kyle was sitting on the couch, staring at the fireplace. When he heard my footsteps, he turned to look at me.

"Kyle, Draco's missing." I panted.

"What?" Kyle got up from the couch swiftly.

"I'm gonna go look for him Kyle, you can stay here." I walked towards the common room door but Kyle followed me.

"I'll come with you." 

But just as we ran upstairs and reached the Great Hall, my eyes caught something moving from the end of the corridor.

"Hide." I whispered to Kyle and we hid behind a column. Footsteps approached and my breathing got heavier.

Then the ground on which my feet were darkened... Someone was standing beside me.

"Draco!"