Chapter 79: Tessa

ONE MONTH LATER (FEB. 5TH)

"Tessa! Where are the keys!" Hardin calls from the other room. I hear him frantically throwing things around and cursing to himself as he searches for them. I see them on the nightstand, but I am too lazy to get out of bed. My back is sore from moving around these past couple days since my belly is growing in size. My little girl is getting big. Since our first visit, she has grown tremendously. She's still underweight for her age, but it's not as bad as it was before. I am done with planning everything for Noah and Shannon's wedding, so I have been bored out of my mind. I've cleaned the house a million times, and even went through the attic and organized everything.

"Hey. Have you seen-" Hardin sprints into the bedroom, and I shake the keys in the air. He sighs in relief.

"I keep telling you to put them on the hook like I do."

He rolls his eyes before attempting to grab them out of my hands. "Why do I need a hook when I have you to find them for me?"

I quickly put my hands behind my back before he can grab them. "What do I look like? Your personal key keeper?"

"Tess, I need those keys. I'm gonna be late for my meeting." He holds his hand out, but I shake my head.

"Give me the keys." He tells me with the worst serious face he could possibly express.

He leans down slowly so he's only centimeters from my face. "Give. Me. The. Keys." He whispers now with space in-between each word.

"Make me."

His eyes darken like he's a predator and I'm his prey. A small smile plays on his lips, and he brings them close to mine. Distracting me with his closeness, he reaches behind my back and yanks the keys out of my hand. I thought he would want to play a little, but I suppose not.

"I'm sorry, but I can't be late to this meeting."

I try not to sulk like a little baby, but I can't help it. Hardin's been so busy with book stuff that he's been going to meetings every day this week, even today.

"You have to go to a meeting on your birthday?" I frown, and he sighs. He takes me into his arms and rubs my back.

"I'll be back before dinner. Trust me, I don't want to work on my birthday either, but an authors gotta do what an authors gotta do."

I click my tongue in annoyance. I know he could've gotten out of this since it is his birthday for crying out loud. "You'll be spending more time with Stacy than with your own wife on your birthday. If that's your idea of a fun time, then don't let me stop you."

He pulls away from me so I'm at an arm's length. "It obviously isn't. I'm trying to get all my shit done as soon as possible so I can be there for you when this little one joins us. That's why I'm working so hard and spending my birthday with Stacy."

"Okay." I can't necessarily argue with him because it's his birthday. If he wants to go to these meetings, then I have no place to tell him no. I know he doesn't mean harm, but I wish I could spend more time with him on his birthday.

"I love you." He leans over and kisses me briefly. "I'm doing this for you."

"I know. I just wish you'd take a day off. You've been non stop ever since we've gotten back from our honeymoon. I miss you."

"How about this Sunday we do something just you and me. Go to the park, watch TV, anything you want to do. Deal?"

"Deal." I agree. My mind goes into overdrive thinking of all the fun things Hardin and I can do on Sunday.