Chapter 69: Tessa

My neck is cramping so badly when I wake up. I felt movement beside me, but it's just the old man sitting beside me going to the bathroom for the tenth time in the past two hours. I look over at Hardin, and I'm glad to find him asleep. I feel so terrible about everything that's going on, but I think he's handling it pretty well. Right? I just hope things all end up okay with Trish for her sake and for Hardin's. I know we are supposed to be going on our honeymoon after this, but I also know that if something bad does happen with Trish, there is no way we could do so.

There's only forty five minutes left in the flight, and I'm grateful I slept for most of it. To pass the rest of the time by, maybe I'll read a book. As part of my New Years resolution, I want to read every book on this random website I've seen of the top 50 works of American Literature. I've read a majority of them, but I think it'll take me about a year to finish the rest. The only book I could quickly grab to read on the plane was Hardin's copy of the Great Gatsby, which I haven't read since high school. Thankfully I packed the book in my purse instead of in the small carry-on backpack I brought, or else I'd be screwed since Hardin tucked it away in the overhead compartment.

"I hope she'll be a fool. That's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." I hear someone say over my left shoulder. When I turn to my left, I notice the college-age-looking guy smiling at me.

"Sorry... what?"

"The Great Gatsby, it's one of my favorites." He nods his head towards the book in my hand.

"It's been a while since I've read it."

He chuckles deeply. "I've read it a lot if you haven't been able to tell."

"Yeah, the quoting of the book gave that away."

"It's hard to believe that people actually read anymore. With Hulu and Netflix, I'm surprised people do anything that might strengthen their brains."

"No hate on Netflix, but books are so much better."

"Wow." He's staring at me intensely, and I'm not sure if I like it. I turn my head back to the book and put my headphones in to block out the nosiness of the aircraft, and to also stop further conversation. He seems nice enough, but I can just tell his conversing with me wasn't 'friendly'. The last thing I need is to be talking to some guy five years younger than me while my husband sleeps two seats down.

I get a decent way into the book before I see the seat belt light turn on. I'm excited to be landing after a long seven and a half hours on this plane. It still hasn't registered yet that I'm going to England again. The last time I was here was one of the worst experiences of my life, so I hope this trip can replace those bad memories. I hate to even call this a trip because we are only here to visit Trish in the hospital. In reality, this trip could easily be just as bad as its predecessor. I take out my earbuds, put my tray table up, and begin to gather my belongings. As I'm collecting everything, the book slips from my lap and falls onto the floor.

"I got it." My friendly seat neighbor offers.

"Thanks..."

"Jeremy." He sticks his hand out for me to shake.

"Tessa." I introduce myself and swiftly take the book from his hand, shoving it into my purse.

"Could I make another suggestion for when you're done? You should try The Catcher in the Rye, another classic like Gatsby."

I laugh at the irony of this whole conversation. "I've read it before." Little does he know who he's speaking to.

"Probably in high school right? Well, how about Pride and Prejudice?"