Chapter 28: Hardin

Tessa and I walk hand in hand out of our bedroom after an emotional moment together. I cannot believe Carol has cancer. I feel terrible for Tessa, considering Carol is the only biological family she has left. Even though they have a rocky relationship to say the least, Tessa loves her mum, and I cannot imagine how she must be feeling right now to find this out, especially on fucking Christmas. Her favorite day of the year.

"Noah, Shannon! I didn't know you two were coming." Tessa notices two guests that she forgot to inform me she invited. She greets them like the warm host that she is, and you can't even tell that she was crying just a couple minutes ago. Tessa puts on an act that she's okay way too easily, and it honestly worries the shit out of me.

"We tried to call you, but you weren't answering your phone. I hope you still don't mind." Shannon says.

"Of course not, I'm glad you're both here."

I wonder if Tessa will tell Noah about her mother's diagnosis. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm glad I was the first one she told. I remember when Tessa told me way back when about how she will have pregnancy issues, but she told Kim before she told me. I was fucking fuming over the idea of Kim knowing weeks before I did.

"Here, I'll introduce you all." Tessa leads Noah and Shannon around the room, introducing them to my parents. The doorbell rings once again. Tessa is in conversation, so I guess I'll answer the door. It's the Vance's.

"Sorry we're late!" Kim immediately shouts as I open the door. "Gracie was giving us such a hard time, but we're here. We made it." She sounds tired and out of breath already. "And we brought wine."

"Oh, finally!" Nora walks over, kisses Kim on the cheek, and takes the wine from her. "I need a glass. Who else wants wine?"

Landon, Mike, Noah and Shannon are the only ones to raise their hands.

"Hey bud." I lightly smack Smith's back as he takes off his heavy jacket that I just know Vance forced him to wear.

"Hi." He greets me plainly.

"My two boys under one roof." Christian walks over, and puts his hand on both of our shoulders. I'm immediately uncomfortable. Especially with the whole DNA test thing, I don't want to be thinking about fathers right now. I shrug out of his grip.

"Smith! Hi!" Heather comes running up, and his face is already turning red by just looking at her.

"Heather, hi. You look... you look lovely."

"Thanks." She smiles. "I like your tie."

"Thanks. I like your necklace."

"Thanks."

This conversation is so awkward, but cute at the same time. They keep complimenting each other, but it's weirding me out. Young love is a strange thing. Never got to experience it, and looking at Smith and Heather practically drooling over each other makes me glad that I didn't.

"Okay, why don't you two go catch up on the couch." I shove Smith towards the couch, and Heather follows. I like seeing him have a friend, and the fact that his friend is a girl is even better.

"I think he has a crush on her." Vance whispers in my ear as I watch Heather and Smith on the couch.

"Yeah, no shit." I turn back to him. "Look how red his face is."

"Don't tease him. This might be the first girl he's ever liked." Vance condemns me.

"He's thirteen."

"So? First love is a big deal to some people." He says, but I just roll my eyes. His first love was my fucking mother, and we all know where that went.