Chapter 34: Tessa

As the taxi drives me back home, I continue to grow excited. I took my wedding dress off, so the driver wouldn't give me any weird looks, but I have to text Landon to make sure Hardin doesn't see me. It's 3:30, so our wedding starts in a half hour.

"Landon isn't responding." I tell Kim. I sent him five messages, but he hasn't replied back.

"I'll try calling Christian." She parks the car in my driveway and pulls out her phone.

"Hey.." She says into the phone. "Is it done?... Good... Well, we're here... Keep Hardin in his office or something so we can go into the bedroom... Yes... Okay... Love you." She gives me a thumbs up that we're all good to go.

Kim moves quickly to grab my stuff from the trunk. She seems more panicked then I am.

"It's okay, Kim. We have time." I tell her as she rushes to grab everything herself.

"I know. I'm just excited for you, that's all." She slams the trunk to her car and walks quickly ahead of me into my house.

I can smell cologne throughout the house, so I know Hardin is close. I walk past his office door, where I hear small muffling of him talking with Vance. I want to open it so badly, but I know I can't. In just a half hour, we will be saying our vows.

Our vows.

"Shit!" I run into my room, looking in my beside table. "No, no, no!" I scramble through all of the garbage there.

"What is it?" Kim asks as she gets the dress out of the bag.

"My vows. I think I left them back at your place."

"You brought them to my place?"

"Yeah, I wanted you to read them before, but I completely forgot. I left it on the table I think. Damn it!" I sit angrily on the bed. "What am I gonna do?"

"I don't think we have enough time to run back. Do you remember what you wrote?" Kim asks. "Stand up."

I stand, but continue to pout. "A little bit. I mean, I have this." I pull out the rough draft that I wrote when Hardin first proposed. It's super messy and sloppy, but it might have to do.

"Honestly, I don't think Hardin will care." She continues to pull the dress up my legs, and begins buttoning the back.

"Me neither, but I just wanted them to be special." I sigh.

"Don't be sad! Hardin will love whatever you say to him, honestly."

"You're right." I crumple the piece of paper with my old vows written on them. I need to speak from the heart, and I know once I look at Hardin, I'll be able to say what I want to say.

"Okay, now shoes. Lift your dress up." She begins placing the heels on my feet. They're a beautiful pale pink that matches the undertone of my dress perfectly.

"Okay! Now look!" She turns me around to look in the full length mirror hanging on our door. "You look absolutely beautiful." She smiles, a single tear falling from her eye.

It's a few minutes to four when a knock sounds at the door. Kim opens it to find Nora, Heather, and my mother at the door.

"Tessa!" Nora and Heather scream. "You look amazing!"

I look past them to my mother, who is smiling without her teeth, but her eyes are getting watery.

"Theresa, you look lovely." She walks over to me and grabs my hands. "I am so proud of the beautiful young woman you have become."

"Mother, don't make me cry... please." I feel tears coming on. I think the weight of my mother's diagnosis is why this moment is extra special. We rarely share sentimental moments, but I'm glad she can be here with me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." She wipes her eyes with a tissue. "It's nearly four, are you ready?"

I nod to her, and she lightly strokes my arm before walking out.

"Are you excited!" Heather comes running up to me with biggest grin on her face.

"I am." I smile back.

"Hardin is one lucky son of a bitch." Nora comes up, playfully nudging me on the shoulder.

"Is he out there?" I ask her, and she nods.

"You two are actually getting married, like this is actually happening." Nora grabs a hold of my shoulders and shakes them gently.

"It's four!" Kim yells from behind me. "Are you ready to go out there?"

I feel nervous, but more excited. "Let's do this." I smile to my best friends and step sister.

I walk out of the room and down the hall, but no one is in the main room.

"Where is everyone?" I begin to panic again. Is this some sort of sick prank? I can't handle any pranks now.

Kim and Nora grab my arms and lead me to the back door. When I look through the window, I see rows of chairs, pretty lights, and Hardin talking to Landon.

"What is this?" I ask.

"It was Nora's idea. She set this whole thing up while you were getting ready."

I look over to Nora, who has the smuggest grin on her face. "It's true."

"You did this?" Tears are forming in my eyes. I cannot believe Nora went above and beyond to decorate my backyard. I give her a hug. "Thank you so much. I love it."

"Of course." She pulls back, wipes the tears under my eyes. "Now we're gonna go out there. You're good?"

"Yes." I nod to her.

Her, Kim and Heather all walk out the door, leaving me standing here alone. There is someone playing the typical 'here comes the bride' song on the violin.

"Tessie? " I hear a voice say behind me. Dad.

I don't ever hear things or see things, so I am so confused on why I hear his voice. It sounds like it's coming from my bedroom.

"Tessie?" I hear the voice again. Okay, this is really weird. Am I going crazy?

I walk back into my bedroom, confused on why my father was calling me in my mind. I am not a very spiritual person, but I feel like someone is here with me. It's the strangest feeling I've ever experienced.

My drawer is wide open, but I remember shutting it. I walk over, and laying right on the top is my one of my father's rings that my mother gave me once he passed. Why is that there?

I pick it up with my hand. It's way too big for my tiny fingers, but I remember when he used to wear this ring every day. It wasn't his wedding band or anything, even though my parents weren't married, but I think his father gave it to him. I don't really know the history, but he wore it a lot. He left it at our house when he left us though, and my mother used to keep it on her desk to remind her of what she lost.

This is how he can be here with me. I take the necklace off that Kim put on with a heart that Hardin got me, and I place the ring on the chain as well.

"Thank you, Dad." I smile up as another tear escapes my eye. I touch the necklace, pushing it into my chest, and I feel ready now, more ready to marry Hardin than I have ever been in my entire life.

I walk back over to the door, take one last deep breath, and open it.