Chapter 49: Tessa

Although I am still reeling from all the events that happened within the past hour, I call Noah. I feel terrible for missing that meeting, even though it was ultimately out of my control. It's terribly unprofessional of me no matter what the circumstance was.

"Tessa?" Noah answers on the third ring.

"Noah! Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for missing the meeting!" I say, trying not to sound like I'm shaken up.

"What happened? We literally spoke five minutes before the meeting was supposed to begin."

"You won't believe it! It's a long story, but pretty much my house was broken into."

"What!? Are you okay?"

"I mean, I'm fine now, just shaken up. Hardin wasn't here, and the man had a knife... so that's why I missed the meeting. I'm so sorry."

"Please, you don't need to apologize."

"It was so unprofessional of me. Is there any way the meeting could be rescheduled?" I ask through tears.

"The meeting went fine actually. Shannon and I just spoke with the caterer to figure out a menu, so I think we're all good. Please don't worry, Tessa."

"I'm just... so sorry." Fuck, now I'm sobbing.

"Tess... it's fine. I'm just glad you're okay."

"You're not mad at me?"

He gasps. "Of course not! The situation was out of your control. It's not like you missed the meeting on purpose."

"Yeah, but-"

"No 'buts'." Noah interrupts. "It's really okay. Just focus on yourself right now. Do you need me to do anything? Do you want to talk about it?"

I smile at Noah's kindness that I can always rely on. "I'm okay, Noah. Thank you."

"Good, well if that changes, you know my number." He laughs, and I laugh back.

"We have another meeting tomorrow, so you can just tell me what you two decided on."

"Sure, yeah. Do you want to move it? It's not a problem."

"No, no, no." I say immediately. "Tomorrow is fine."

"Okay, well then I'll see you tomorrow." He says.

"Thanks again, Noah."

"Of course. You know I'm always here for you."

I smile. "I know... Okay, I'll see you."

"Bye, Tessa."

Once I hang up the phone, I feel a lot better. Noah always knows what to say to make me feel better. A soft knock sounds at the door, and I wipe the tears away from my eyes.

"Hey, I'm making dinner. Do you want anything in particular?" Hardin pops his head in.

"Um... you know what I could really go for?" I walk over, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Hmm.. what's that?" He smirks.

"Takeout." I smile, and he frowns a little. "Do you want Chinese?" I ask again, and he perks up a little. I can tell he is faking though.

"Yeah, sure... I just thought you were going to say something else."

I smile back at him, knowing what he's talking about, but the memories of the Uber driver's hands on my chest are still too fresh in my mind to do anything with him. "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can... tonight."