Chapter 92: Hardin

I don't think I can eat another stale piece of meat from this free restaurant buffet anymore. I nearly vomited when I saw the pasta dish with bugs flying around it. You would think that a decent hotel in New York City would make sure bugs aren't swarming their food. The only reason I am even sitting here right now is because Tessa called me back. I was scared that she would be upset with me because of the way today played out, but when she sent me that video of her and Addy, my worries wilted away. She sounded fine when we talked on the phone too, so I think everything is okay.

"It feels so nice to sit down for the first time all day." Stacy collapses onto the chair across from me, leaning her head on the table. She has what looks like meatloaf and some of that bug pasta.

"Tell me about it." I take a sip of a beer I ordered for myself from the hotel bar. I deserve it; it's been a long day. "There's no where else we can eat?"

"Unless you want candy from the vending machine, this is the best you'll get. Technically you shouldn't even be eating this food since you still don't have a room at this place."

"The snow has pretty much stopped, so hopefully the roads will clear up soon."

"Probably not, I mean, did you see how much snow came down?"

"So? Ubers are probably still running."

She shakes her head. "Not likely."

"Well I still want to wait. Tessa is staying at my brother's house."

She smiles subtly. "That's good that she's not out on the roads right now. You spoke with her?"

"Yeah, just before. Everything's fine."

"Good, good." She begins to eat her stale ass meatloaf. I can't even watch her eat it without getting queasy in my stomach. 

"I think I might just grab a candy bar from the vending machine at this point. I can't eat this."

"I agree." She spits her food out into the napkin, and I laugh at the exaggeration of her response. "Well, at least the wine is good."

The beer is alright, and definitely hits the spot after a long, stressful day.

"To getting a sponsor." Stacy lifts up her wine glass and clinks it with my beer. I should be celebrating with Tessa, since she is the one who got me the sponsor in the first place.

"At least your day off had a happy ending." She takes another long sip of her red wine. Day off?

"I had a day off? Since when?"

"Um, since like three days ago when you requested one..." She gives me a strange expression.

Why would I request a day off? A random Sunday?

Then it hits me.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I promised Tessa that I would spend time with her today just the two of us. I had been working so much, so I told her I would take some time off to give her some attention that she needs. And that's the last fucking thing that I did today. It all makes sense

She seemed so confused this morning when I told her about this event thing. Even though it was last minute, I should've told Vance no.

"You have to go to this... today?" She said.

How could I have not remembered? Oh my god, I am the fucking worst.

"I get the food is bad, but what's with the sour facial expression? We just got the king of sponsors, so no frowns allowed!" Stacy tries to cheer me up, but there is no way in hell I can fake a happy expression right now.