Chapter 42: Tessa

How did I know that our honeymoon phase would last less than 24 hours. I cannot believe he just said that. I cannot believe he just said that New York was not his home. He never once talked to me about wanting to move back to England, never once. When we first got back together, we agreed to live in New York because that's where my job at Vance's was, and Hardin worked from home mainly. He was supportive, and never expressed any ill will, but apparently he doesn't feel like he belongs here.

-

"Good morning, beautiful." Hardin woke up beside me the morning after Landon's wedding. We had just spent pretty much the entire night driving to Vegas, only for him to turn around when I fell asleep. I'm glad he did, because even though I wanted to spend my life with this man, I was unsure I wanted to marry him.

"Hey." I said, my voice laced with sleep. Hardin had the hugest grin on his face, and I knew I probably looked like I just crawled out of the gutter. "Why are you so smiley?"

"Because we're together, after all this time, you came back to me."

"I always knew I would." I kissed his nose, and snuggled up close to him. I was so happy to finally be back with him after so long. We both worked so hard to get to that point in our lives, and I was thrilled that I found my way back to him.

We were laying in a hotel bed with both of us going home tonight. Yes we had just got back together, but we also lived completely separate lives. My life was here in New York, while Hardin's was in Chicago. I didn't know what we were going to do; neither of us expected this to happen so suddenly.

"I have a question." I leaned up on my elbows and stared into the eyes that I hadn't seen in so long.

"Okay, shoot."

"Well, what are we supposed to do?"

Hardin looked at me with confusion written all over his face. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, like... we're back together and everything, but we live separate lives, Hardin."

He nods. "Yeah, I'm not sure..."

"You're supposed to be going back on a plane tonight, and I have work..."

"I know, I know... I'm not leaving tonight. I can stay for a few more days-"

"A few more days! See! How is this supposed to work when we live in two different places? I don't want to do long distance again."

"Me neither." He cupped my face with his hand. "We'll figure it out."

"My life is in New York, Hardin. If we were to live together... I don't know if I can just leave."

He didn't say anything at first. He just stared at the ceiling.

"I never imagined myself in New York."

"Me neither, but I love it here, and I think you would too. Where would you want to go?"

"I'm not sure... I never thought I would have to decide tonight." He said in sort of a harsh tone.

"Oh..." I didn't want to argue with him, since we literally just got back together the night before.

"Hey." He lifted my chin so he could see my eyes. "My home is wherever you are, and if that's in New York, then that's where we'll be."

"Are you sure? We don't have to-"

"Yeah." He hesitated. "I'm sure."

He pulled me close to him, and made love to me once more.