Chapter 36: Tessa

It's my turn to say my vows, and I am freaking out. Hardin's vows were amazing, absolutely beautiful. I don't even have anything written down, so I am just going to look into Hardin's eyes and speak the truth.

"Okay, so I actually left my vows at Kim's place, so I'm just gonna speak from the heart, but I pretty much remember what I want to say." I tell Hardin as I grab ahold of his hands. "Hardin, first and foremost, I would like to thank you. You said in your vows how you could never repay me for what I have given you, well that goes both ways. I can't begin to explain how you have changed my life for the better. Before I met you, I was a fragile little girl who was terrified of being herself, and scared of letting people down. Now, after I have met you, I am a strong, confident woman who isn't afraid of anything, and I thank you for that." I pause, thinking of what else I want to say. "I, also, am not the easiest to deal with. Throughout all of my pregnancy issues, you have been a rock for me. You say you can't repay me? You being here with me today is fine payment. I cannot wait to marry you and raise this baby with you." I laugh as I remember what people in movies usually say with vows. "I promise to love you, to cherish you, to be honest to you, to annoy you, to squeeze your cheeks, to kiss away your tears, to support you, to fight for you, to braid your hair, to make you dinner, to listen to you and to be the best damn wife I can be until the day that I die." Hardin laughs at all the corny things I just said. I think that went better than my original vows. It felt much more natural.

"Okay, finally, the I do's." Luke says.

"Do you, Hardin, take Tessa to be your wedded wife, to cherish in love and in friendship, in strength and in weakness, in success and in disappointment, to love her faithfully, today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you shall live?"

"I do." He smiles at me.

"And do you, Tessa, take Hardin to be your wedded husband, to cherish in love and in friendship, in strength and in weakness, in success and in disappointment, to love him faithfully, today, tomorrow, and for as long-"

"I do!" I don't even let Luke finish, I am too excited.

"Okay." Luke laughs. "By the power vested in me by the state of New York, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

I look back over to Hardin who leans in and kisses me tenderly. I wrap my arms around his neck, and I can feel the tears pouring out of my eyes. I hear the audience applauding in the back, and the violin begins playing once again. When our lips disconnect, I lean my forehead against Hardin's and laugh out of pure joy.

"We actually did it. We're actually married." I whisper, and he laughs too, tears pouring out of his eyes.

"We are, baby, we are." He kisses me again as the crowd continues to cheer.

"For the first time ever, I announce-" Luke begins, but Hardin whispers something in his ear. He nods, and continues to speak. "I am proud to announce Mr. and Mrs. Hardin Scott and Tessa Young." He says, and everyone claps. Hardin must've just told him that I don't want to take his last name. I am so grateful he did that.

"Now, let's go inside for some dinner, courtesy of Nora Gibson."

Everyone begins to stand and walk inside, but Hardin grabs me by the hand and leads me behind our green house.

"What are you doing?" I look up into his eyes that are gleaming with love.

"I just want to appreciate you in this damn dress alone." He replies back with a smile.

"You like it?"

"I love it. You look so damn sexy in it, and especially this." His hand reaches behind me and traces my spine down my bare back.