Chapter 81: Tessa

"Have you tried his cell?" Nora asks for the tenth time in the past two minutes. It's 6:30, and Hardin said he'd be home by now. I've tried calling him at least five times, but it just goes straight to voicemail.

"It's not even ringing. His phone must be turned off."

"I'm sure he's just driving, plus it's snowing." Landon mentions to make me feel better.

"You know what? You're probably right." I say out loud to convince myself.

-

6:30 quickly turns into 7:30, which turns into 8:00. Landon, Nora and I have been sitting at this table to two hours waiting for him to walk through the door. He still isn't answering his phone, so I hope he's okay. I feel fine though, and I've mentioned in the past that I feel like I would know deep down if Hardin were in serious danger.

"Tessa, I'm sorry, but we only got the sitter until 8:00 because we'd figured you and Hardin would want some time alone that wasn't too late." Landon speaks up after ten minutes of silence.

"Oh, yeah. That's fine. Do you guys want some cake for the road?"

"It's only a five minute drive, but we're good. You two enjoy it."

Nora walks over and kisses my cheek. "Tell Hardin we wish him a happy birthday." Landon comes over and does the same.

"I will. Thank you guys for coming."

They both give me a sympathetic look before grabbing their coats and leaving me all alone. I put the dinner I made for Hardin away in the fridge so it doesn't go bad, and grab a fork for the cake. I cut myself a slice, and sit back down at the kitchen counter.

How did I know this was going to happen? Even on his own birthday, he does nothing but work. He's been there for the past eight hours... what the fuck could he be doing? Hanging out with Stacy I'm fucking sure. Don't go there, Tessa.

"Looks like it's just you and me... and all this cake." I speak to my little baby. "I'm sure you'll love this. It's your daddy's favorite." I take a bite of the moist, chocolate cake and moan in delight. It's even more delicious than I could've imagined it to be. I haven't eaten much today, mainly because I was planning this for Hardin. Damn it, I just wish he were here. I want to spoil him and give him everything he wants on his special day. I wonder if he'll even come home tonight.

As I take the first bite of my third piece of cake, I hear the key jingle in the door. Hardin!

The door swings open, and in walks Hardin with snow covering his hair. I hear him shake it all out before taking his winter jacket off. I can hear him struggle to take his boots off, quietly cursing to himself. He walks in the kitchen, and immediately locks eyes with me.

"Hey." He walks towards me, placing his hands on the counter beside me.

"Hi." I take another bite of the cake.

"Sorry for coming home a little late. I lost my phone at work, and there was bad traffic on the way home due to the storm."

"It's okay." I plaster a fake smile on my face to hide the fact that I'm sad that I've been sitting here eating cake alone. "Do you want a slice? Nora and I made it."

"Sure." He sits down next to me as I cut him a piece of cake.

"Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Your favorite."

"Thanks, baby." He kisses my temple before taking a bite. "This is delicious. Thank you."

"Of course." I sit there and watch him. The longer I sit here, the more I wonder why Hardin didn't bother to call me to tell me he's coming home late. He had to have known I would be planning something for him, as I have done every year since we've been together.