Chapter 22

The following day, Kamari went to go see Malik's mom like she said she would.

"Hey, honey", she said as she let Kamari in. "It's so nice to see you"

Malik wasn't lying about his mom being sick. She usually looked so full of life but now it was like she was a whole different person, appearance wise.

Kamari smiled. "He's wonderful to see you too Ms. Williams", she said.

"Have a seat", Malik's mom said as she sat down.

Kamari sat in a chair near the couch.

"So tell me. How are things going? Malik told me about you getting signed to a big record label. I am so proud of you. My beautiful daughter in law", she said.

"Malik and I aren't together", Kamari said nicely.

"I know but you're still my daughter in law in my eyes. I honestly can't see him with someone better", she said.

Kamari just smiled and nod.

"So, Malik told me that you werent feeling well", Kamari said.

"Oh it's nothing that God won't fix. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine", she said.

Kamari's phone got a notification.

She looked at her phone and it was a message from Quinton.

MESSAGE:
Q💖🥰: hey, i was just checking in on you. I haven't heard from you since I came over yesterday. Everything okay?

Kamari read the message and looked at her phone for a moment.

"Everything okay?", Malik's mom asked.

Kamari looked up at her and smiled as she put her phone down. "Everything is fine", Kamari replied.

Malik's mom nods.

"...listen...I know this isn't my place but Malik won't tell me what happened between the two of you", she said. "I'm just curious"

"...Malik just isn't ready for a relationship", Kamari said.

"He cheated didn't he?", she asked.

Kamari nods.

His mom shook her head. "I told that boy not to be like his father. At least not to someone like you. I am so sorry honey", she said.

"It's been months. I got over it and I'm fine", Kamari said.

"Strong. I love it. Continue to never let anyone tear you down", his mom said. "Not even my stupid ass son"

Kamari laughed.

This is why she loved Malik's mom so much. She was caring and she kept it real no matter what.

After talking for a little while. Kamari left. She realized that she forgot to text Quinton back so she called him but he didn't answer. She assumed that he was busy with work so she just texted him back saying that she was sorry for texting back so late and that she was talking to Malik's mom. She also mentioned that she was okay.

After leaving Malik's mom's house Kamari went to the studio. She knew that, that's where Quinton was most likely.

Kamari walked up to one of the guards.

"Hey, Tim", Kamari said. "Have you seen QC around?"

"Yea. He just went to the bathroom", Tim replied.

"Oh. Which studio was he using?", Kamari asked.

Tim point.

"Thanks Tim", Kamari said as she walked into the studio that Quinton had booked.

As she sat in the studio waiting for Quinton, she started humming different melodies as she thought of lyrics in her head. As she did that, she saw someone come up to the window in the hallway. It was Quinton.

Quinton walked into the studio.

"I don't hear from you and all of a sudden you show up here?", he asked.

"I called and texted you back", Kamari said.

Quinton looked at his phone and saw a missed call and text message.

"Yea, an hour later", he said as he put his phone back down.

Kamari folded her arms and studied him. He seem upset about something.

"What's wrong with you?", Kamari asked.

"Nothing", he said. "I just don't understand what else was so important that you couldn't hit me up"

"You know communication works both ways right?", Kamari said.

"Yea. I'm aware", he said. "Thats what I did and I didn't get anything back from you until an hour later"

"I was talking to Malik's mom", she replied.

"For what?", he asked.

"She's sick and I wanted to check up on her. Malik and I may not be together anymore and she still treats me like family", Kamari said.

"Okay. You were talking to her. That still doesn't excuse the fact that you could've texted me back", he said.

"I know. It read the message and it slipped my mind. She kept talking about certain things and it was triggering some things", Kamari said.

"Whatever Mari", Quinton said.

Kamari sighed.

The producer walked in.

"You ready Q?", he asked.

"Yea. I've just been waiting on you", Quinton said.

Quinton walked into the booth.

Kamari looked at Quinton. She didn't know if he was mad about the text or if it was something else. He usually doesn't make a big deal about that because we're busy people.

Quinton started to rap as the beat started playing.

SONG: J. Cole : Neighbors

"I guess the neighbors think I'm sellin' dope, sellin' dope. Yeah, the neighbors think I'm sellin' dope, sellin' dope sellin' dope, sellin' dope, sellin' dope, yeah. I don't want no picture with the president. I just wanna talk to the man. Speak for the boys in the bando and my nigga never walkin' again", Quinton rapped.

Although was liking what she heard so far, she walked out of the studio.

Quinton stumbled on his words.

"Shit. Start that over", Quinton said.

"You good bro?", the producer asked.

"I don't know, man. I guess I'll just have to find out that out later. Just run it back.", Quinton said.

"Iight", he replied before he started the beat back.

Quinton proceeded to rap on cue.

TO BE CONTINUED...