Chapter 38

A MONTH LATER...

Hope, Faith, and Kamari were currently eating lunch at Hope's apartment.

"Guys, I just don't know what has gotten into him. I mean like I felt that he was trusting me. But we've been arguing more than usual. I mean like it's not an everyday thing, it's just about the way I talk to other guys", Kamari said. "He says I'm too friendly"

"I mean like that's just you in general. Especially when you're in a good mood. It's not like you're flirting", Hope said.

"I know. I mean like I know that he knows that but he still gets jealous", Kamari said.

"He hit you?", Faith asked bluntly.

"Faith", Hope said as she gave Faith a look.

"What?", Faith asked.

"No, Faith. He already said he'd never do that", Kamari said.

"You mean like how Malik said he would never do any to hurt you? But did anyway? People lie, Mari. You of all people know that", Faith said. "Look I'm not trying to sound like a hating ass friend because I'm not. I just wanna make sure that you're still woke and not letting his charm and looks blind you. That's the same thing that happened with Malik"

"I was young and he was my first boyfriend. Yea, it took me a while to learn with him because I was new to it. Yea, I was blind and dumb and I trusted him but that was because I didn't want to let him go", Kamari said. "But at the end of the day I learned my lesson"

"When it comes to a cheater", Faith said.

"Look, guys. Please. Faith I'm sure Kamari will leave Quinton when she feels like she's being treated wrong. People argue and you know that. If she thinks he won't hit her than he probably won't. She's with him all of the time, she sees him in action. If anybody knows the possibility of something it's Kamari", Hope said.

Kamari looked down a little as she thought about how angry he was the night she went to her mom's house. After a quick few seconds, she look back up at them.

"Thank you Hope", Kamari said. "I guess next time I'll just keep things to myself since Faith wants to keep going overboard about his past"

"Weren't you the one that was nervous when you found that out?", Faith asked.

Suddenly, Kamari's phone began ringing.

Kamari picked up her phone.

Faith rolled her eyes and stood up.

"I'll see you later", Faith said as she looked at Hope.

"Where are you going?", Hope asked.

Kamari got up and walked into the bathroom as she answered the phone.

"Home", Faith said.

"Why?", Hope asked.

"Because of mari's little remark. How she gonna say that to me when all I was trying to do was make sure she was good?", Faith asked.

"It's Mari. Okay? It doesn't matter what points we make to her, she's not going to listen until she's ready and besides she's probably right. I don't think he'll touch her", Hope said.

"Yea, and I didn't think dad touched mom but he did. On the outside they were happy, but on the inside, behind closed doors, she was miserable. She was getting beaten and being controlled. For 25 years, she was in a relationship where she couldn't get out because it was too late. I don't want that for Kamari", Faith

Hope looked down.

"Mari doesn't have any bruises and Mari has three brothers to back her up. I really don't think anything is happening right now. If it was, she knows when to get help", Hope said.

"Yea, it hasn't gotten to that point yet", Faith said.

"Or never. They've been together for like what? Just about a year now. Maybe a year already, I don't know. I don't think he's like that anymore", Hope said.

Faith didn't say anything.

"Just sit down. Okay?", Hope said.

"No. I still don't like the way she said that to me. I'll see y'all later", Faith said.

Hope sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Whatever bye", Hope said.

Faith made a face.

"So that wasn't wrong?", Faith asked.

"I mean like Faith you keep arguing her down about Q. She's probably tired of it", Hope said.

"Well like she said, she shouldn't have said anything about him being abusive to his last girlfriend in the first place", Faith said before she picked up her stuff and walked out.

Hope looked to the side.

Kamari came out of the bathroom.

"I have to go", Kamari said

Hope looked at her.

"Where's Faith?", Kamari asked.

"She had to go do something", Hope said.

Kamari nods.

"Where you off to?", Hope asked.

"Q is here to pick me up", Kamari said.

"Oh okay", Hope replied. "Bye"

Kamari grabbed her things. "Bye", Kamari said before leaving the apartment.

Quinton was outside waiting for her. He was leading against his car, on the passenger side door.

Kamari walked up to him.

"Who all up there?", Quinton asked.

"Just Hope and Faith", Kamari replied.

Quinton nods.

"You know if you had something to do, I could've just drove my car", Kamari said. "Besides I haven't really drove my car in like a month"

"What? I can't drive you around?", Quinton asked.

"I mean it's nice to have a chauffeur again but it's almost like you're just doing this to be nosey", Kamari said.

"Nosey? Me? Never", Quinton said.

Kamari nods. "Alright, well for now on I'm just going to drive my car then", she said.

Quinton cleared his throat. "Okay", he said.

"Alright. Now, let's go before you're late", Kamari said.

Quinton opened the door for her and she got into the car. Then he shut the door and walked to the driver's side and got in.

TO BE CONTINUED...