Chapter 16

A few weeks later, Kamari was at the mall shopping with Symone.

"So basically he's been interested in me after I met him one night. It wasn't until we started talking and getting to know each other that he was like interested, interested in me", Kamari said.

"So...what took you guys so long to date?", Symone asked.

"Well I had just broken up with my recent boyfriend a 4 or 5 months ago. I was trying to get over that", Kamari said.

"Was trying?", Symone said.

"Well someone once told me that in order for you to get over someone, you have to find someone better. Hopefully Q is better", Kamari said.

"Aww, was this ex your first love or something?", Symone said.

"He was my first everything. I guess that's why it's been so hard for me...that he told me something that stayed in my mind", Kamari said.

"What?", Symone asked.

"Everybody cheats. I mean it's kinda true so I guess that's why I wasn't jumping in another relationship...but me and Q talked about that so hopefully he'll keep his word. We still young though so I don't know", Kamari said.

"Yeah, hopefully he doesn't. You guys are cute together", Symone said.

"Thanks", Kamari said. "It's just going to be different once everyone knows that we're dating. Like fans and stuff...I don't know. Sometimes that puts more pressure on the relationship. People make up rumors or waiting for someone to slip up"

"That's true", Symone said.

"But anyways, I wanted to get him something for his birthday while I'm here", Kamari said.

"Oooh what?", Symone asked.

"A custom chain", Kamari said.

"Do you know how much that is?", Symone asked.

"Yea but he deserves it", Kamari said. "Besides if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't probably be at the status that I am today"

Symone nods.

"Yes I know how much it is because it's ready", Kamari said.

Symone and Kamari walked to the store.

———

Later that day, Kamari was in the studio with Chris Brown because she was doing a her feature to a song. He did decided to contact her after all.

*SONG: CHRIS BROWN: DRUNK TEXTING ft JHENE AIKO

After they were done, Kamari started getting her things together.

"You want me to walk you out?", Chris asked.

"Nah, I'm good", she said.

"Alright, but once again thank you", he said.

"No problem", she replied. "Bye"

Kamari walked out of the studio and outside where Quinton was waiting out in front for her. He was the one who dropped her off.

"Hey baby", Kamari said.

"Whats up", Quinton replied before he leaned in and they kissed.

He bit his lip and started smiling before he started driving.

"How was it working with your ex?", Quinton asked jokingly.

Kamari giggled. "Shut up", she said.

Quinton chuckled.

"But it was okay", Kamari said.

"Did be flirt with you?", he asked.

"No. Just business", Kamari replied. "Why?"

"Nah, it just seemed like he was hitting on you at the party that's all", he replied.

"Oh but anyways, your birthday is coming up", she said.

"Yea, that of which I told you not to make a big deal out of", he said.

"Yea but it's your birthday", Kamari said. "Why don't you wanna enjoy it?"

"I just don't think birthdays are a big deal, Mari", Quinton said.

Kamari stared at him.

Quinton looked at her then back at the road. "What?", he asked.

"Nothing", she said as she started messing with her charm bracelet.

Quinton looked at her to see what she was doing then back at the road.

"I never see you without the bracelet", he said. "Well recently"

"Yea", she said.

"Must be a favorite", he said.

"Something like that", she said. "It's just that it has some meaning of it"

Quinton nods.

"Where are we eating tonight?", Kamari asked.

"Mexican or Italian?", Quinton asked.

"Mmm, Italian", Kamari said.

"My crib or yours?", Quinton asked.

"Yours. Just so we won't get disturbed again", Kamari said.

"Xavier is funny though", Quinton said.

"More like embarrassing", Kamari said.

"He better than Parker though", Quinton said. "Parker was cool until we started dating"

"That's the over over over protective one", Kamari said. "I love him and we can goof around a lot but he's so annoying...how do you know Parker though?"

"He was always hanging around the neighborhood", Quinton said.

"Oooh so you from that side of town??", Kamari asked. "Alright na, you done made it out the hood"

"Something like that", Quinton said. "But all I'm saying is, if they like that then I will hate to meet your dad"

Kamari looked down a little then at him. "You only have my mom to meet", she said.

"Oh...I thought the man in that people I saw in your apartment was your dad", he said.

"He is...he passed away", Kamari said.

"Oh...I'm sorry to hear that", he said.

Kamari began to change the subject. "...do you have any siblings?", Kamari asked.

"...I used to have a little sister", Quinton said.

"What happened?", she asked.

"We were in the house and some shit popped off with my mom and her boyfriend and somehow my sister got shot and I had to watch", Quinton said.

Kamari looked at him. She didn't know what to say.

"I guess that's when I fell in love with music. It was my escape, from my problems", he said.

"...after my dad died, I took music more serious. I always had dreams that involved being who I am and where I'm at today but...I was never serious about it. My dad used to be my number one fan and I guess I had to do something to make him proud even though he isn't here anymore", Kamari said. "I don't even like to celebrate Christmas because that's when he died...which is coming up"

Quinton nods.

"So...is the reason why you don't celebrate your birthday?", she asked.

"Some way, some how, we were born on the day. Not the same year of course. But, we share the same birthday. When that time comes around, all I can do is think about her", Quinton said.

Kamari nods.

"But let's just listen to some music and get to the restaurant and then the house so we can eat", Quinton said.

"Yea", Kamari replied.

Quinton continued to drive. She could tell it was still heavy on his mind.

Kamari looked out the window until they got to the restaurant.

TO BE CONTINUED...