Chapter 1

The start of the book: January 2021

................................................................

Staring at the ceiling of my room, there is nothing that I want more than finishing this year with good grades. Nothing matters more than this, since my first year of college wasn't pleasant at all. I was homesick during my first year, but not anymore. I still miss my dad but Laura made things easier. I held my phone to check if I missed any calls or texts from her, but my lock screen was blank with zero notifications. 

It's 10 Pm and she still didn't return to the dorms. My god, this girl is really gonna drive me mad one day. We are starting a new school year tomorrow and she is partying somewhere. I raised my head and stepped out of the bed, I grabbed my phone and sent her "where are you? the gate will close." Two minutes have passed, and she didn't reply. I can no longer wait, she is so irresponsible and always pull us to tough situations with the gate guard. 

The phone ringed for a few seconds and she didn't reply. When I thought she wouldn't pick up, her voice came through. "Hey, girllll!!!!" oh no is she drunk. I sighed and breathed heavily, trying to control my nerves. "Laura please tell me you are not drunk," I said with frustration. Laura cracked voice came "of course not, daaah," but I know for sure she is. "Okay listen, you need to come back right now, or else you will be in trouble with Mr. Carl, he wouldn't let you in at this time." 

"yeah right, Elena, stop behaving like my mom, I'm having fun here," her voice then was interrupted for a few seconds with loud music. "Fine,  am coming to get you, where are you?" I can't believe am doing this, but once Laura gets drunk there is no way she can come back by herself. I couldn't hear her anymore, it is just the music. "Hey, Laura stay with me," She didn't answer for a while, and then I hear her mumbling "The Milwards".

I wore my trainer and put on a jacket since it's too chilly outside to bear. I mean it's still September but the weather is already turning cool here. I took my phone and locked the door of the room. I checked my phone and it is 10:30, Oh shit the dorm's gate closes at 11. I made my way to the gate and passed through without Mr. Carl's notice.

The night sky is full of stars and the moon is full tonight. I hugged myself and walked towards the east. The Milwards would take 20 minutes of walking, another 20 for coming back, the gate will be closed by that. I sighed and nervously quickened my pace to save time. My god Laura why do you do this to me. Am doing this because she is my best friend, and I obviously can't leave her drunk with horny college students on Sunday night. 

White lights flickered from far, and I can hear the music by now. It's The Milwards, the place where students party and gather all night. I mean the university knows about this place but whenever they try to catch students partying at it, they just can't. The squad that rule The Milwards, always had their ways of finding if security guys are coming to catch them breaking the rules. Oh Laura, I truly hope that this night isn't the one that security finally catches them partying. I quickly prayed to God to save us this night, as I came closer to the crowd. 

I searched with my eyes if I can spot Laura, but all I saw was a crowd of drunk students swaying their bodies to the loud music. I made my way through few students who smelled bad, like a sweat and beer, and made me wonder how people have fun like this. I mean who am I to judge, I need to find Laura and get her back at time before we gets in trouble. Mr. Carl surely wouldn't let us in, am sure about that. 

I checked my phone in attempt to call her, when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned back to see Laura smiling. "Thank God!!" I said and grabbed her wrist, "come here, we don't have time."
I dragged her with me through the crowd, until we made it away from it. We walked in silence for few minutes until Laura spoke. "Elena, did you know that falcons break their own beak when they reach 40?" 

"No, I didn't know that" I answered her and kept walking. "well, David told me that," she paused for a second and then said "he also said that I look like a one." 

"Like a what?" I asked curiously. She knotted her eyebrows and then chuckled, "Like a falcon," I was amazed for a second and then I burst in laugh. I laughed till tears rolled on my face. "Is it a good compliment?" I asked. Laura raised her shoulders, and didn't say anything. I checked my phone to see that we only have five minutes or else the gate will close. "we need to hurry, okay" I looked at Laura, and she seemed too drunk to run.

"Laura, I know that you hate Mr. Carl, and we don't want to get in trouble with him right?" I gazed at her to see her nodding her head. "Alright then, we need to run to be on time, or else we are done" I said while gesturing at my neck with my hand. I didn't wait for her reply, and grabbed her hand and started running. 

After about five minutes I saw the dorms building, we are getting close. Breathless, we made it to the main gate, to find Mr. Carl moving the iron door to close it. "Wait, Mr. Carl," I called. Mr. Carl didn't recognize us at first, but then he did. " its always you two who shows up late," he said while reopening the door. "But you know what, today is your last chance," he warned while raising his eyebrows. 

"Right, thank you Mr. Carl, I promise this is the last one," I said while trying to catch my breath. "Don't make promises that you cannot keep, child," he said with a smile. I sighed and nodded in approval. Leaving the old man, I dragged Laura with me towards our room. The place was so quite that dropping a fork would make an eco. Unlocking the door, I entered the room and throw myself on my bed. 

"Laura, I swear if you do this again, I'm not coming for you," but Laura was already asleep with her cloths still on. I sighed and got up to take off her shoes. I took off mine as well, closed the lights and went to bed. I don't know how I'm gonna wake up early tomorrow. I set my alarm and closed my eyes.