Chapter 24

Adam Rutherford POV:

"You paid it?" her eyes widened in disbelief, "you are the one who paid it? right?" Her voice broke as she shook her head in denial.

"Why do you keep doing this? you owe me nothing, Adam?" she questioned wiping her hand across her tired features. I looked at her and she looked exactly as I first met her. Tired and broken.

"Elena, listen...I...I ...." I trailed trying to gather my thoughts to explain myself. She cut me off, "you didn't have to do it. Stop making me in debt for you," she said shakingly lowering her gaze avoiding my eyes.

In debt? what is that supposed to mean?

My eyebrows knitted in confusion, but then fury washed over me. I thought we had something far deeper than a deal and some money. I guess I was wrong, she clearly view this whole situation differently. As if I will ask her one day to repay me.

I don't even know how did she find out that I paid for her fees. Yesterday's night itself was a long one since she refused to talk claiming that she doesn't want to say things that she will regret later. She got up early in the morning and left, and this is how she came.

"Stop making me feel so cheap," her lips trembled, and shook her head.

Cheap? is this how she sees herself?

"Elena, I never wanted to make you feel cheap. You are not!" I said reaching for her hand. She hesitantly let my hand embrace hers. "I wanted to help," I added. It was a lie, it wasn't a simple help, it was because of care and love.

Love? I mentally stopped thinking by the thought. Is it possible? do I love her?

My features surely were fazed and struck by such a self-confession. "You don't understand, it's so damn hard to not feel cheap. This whole deal felt as if I was selling myself, it ruined my dignity. And now I found out that it wasn't worth it because my father lied straight to my face and didn't hesitate to do so."

Her eyes closed as she carried on, "It makes me feel pathetic, Adam. So please stop making it hard. Stop whatever you are doing because I can't handle another letdown."

My chest tightened in pain, is this what she was fighting with? Of course, she has all the right to feel such things. But it feels so heavy to hear it from her. At the moment I want to take her in my embrace and shelter her from the world and its hurdles.

"I'm going to find a job, and repay you," she stated slipping her hand from my grip. By her words, I almost felt my blood boiling in my veins. My eyes widened in anger, my jaw tightened as I gritted my teeth.

Grabbing her arms I nearly yanked her towards me. My hands loosened a little bit, for I don't want to harm her. "No! you are not," I hissed near her ears. Her eyes narrowed at me coldly, "You don't control me."

I challengingly arched my eyebrow, "I made myself clear. You are not working and there is nothing to repay me, Ok?"

Jerking off her arms, "And I'm not an object that you command around. Stop shoving your daddy's money down my throat, thanks for the help but I don't need it."

My arms flew up in frustration, and then I saw her doing something that nearly made my heart stop. Her arms were held in front of her face in defense as if I will hit her.

"What are you doing?" my voice came dead stripped of any emotion. Her arms dropped, an expression of terror masking her face.

"Did you think I would hit you?" I asked barely finding my voice. Her body shakes and trembles, "I..I..I..., " she stuttered avoiding my intense gaze.