Epilogue

His foot stopped behind the glass door of their greenhouse and stood gazing at the woman who twirled around her white dress skirt flowing around her like waves. Right behind her, a little girl struggled to twirl in imitation. 

Her laugh rang as she chased the little girl who ran around flower pots. She swiftly picks her up and showers her with kisses without acknowledging the figure that stood admiring them with a ghost of a sad smile. 

Elena's gaze then traveled to the door to find him leaning against the door frame. Her smile widens as she picks the child on her waist. 

Adam's heart trembled against his chest as he saw her approaching him no matter how time passes he will never get used to the way his heart act around her. Even after being married for three years, he still didn't get used to the warm feelings of falling in love with her.   

"Lana says that you forgot about ice cream last time," she said looking at the two years old girl who sucked her thumb and shrugged cluelessly. 

"Come on, Lana. Tell Uncle Adam," she tried to encourage the child but she refused to speak. "I don't know what's wrong with her. She was just saying that a minute ago but whenever she sees you, she refuses to talk, maybe she gets shy," Elena said warmly. 

"Maybe," he smiled sadly. His gaze then softens as he observes his wife with a child. She would look great as a mother and he can't do that. He can't make her a mother nor can he be a father. Coming back from his doctor's visit minutes ago, the news wasn't promising and he can't help the bitter taste in his mouth. 

"I'm so sorry Mr. Rutherford but chances are very slim. You probably know that your cancer stages went through a lot of cure methods.  The Radiotherapy affected your sperm, causing possible infertility. Now I'm not saying that it is impossible to have children but chances are very slim." 

"I can't have children," he whispered to himself.  

"So I promised her that we will get a chocolate mint one only if she agrees to have lunch first," her voice invaded his thoughts and pulled him out of the ringing of the doctor's words. 

"What," he said cluelessly, clearly not hearing anything she was saying. 

"What's wrong?" she brought her hand to his temple to sense his temperature. "No fever, anything went wrong at work today?" she asked knitting her eyebrows in concern. 

She was always good at knowing whenever something disturbed him and he knows that. 

"Oh no it's nothing really, "he murmured lowly. His eyes then settled on the blonde girl whose short hair framed her flushed pink cheeks. "Hey, Lana. Sorry, I forgot about ice cream last time. We will have some as I promise after lunch," he smiled. 

Lana simply nodded at Adam still refusing to speak. Adam tilted his head in wonder, she does indeed have her mother's features but her attitude is quite identical to her father's, Chase West. 

"Okay, time for lunch I guess," Elena cheerfully stated. 

"Yeah but I didn't get my kiss," Adam raised one eyebrow looking at his wife. 

Her amusement deepened as she whispered, "Not at a child's sight, Adam." 

"Oh come on," he faked his disappointment while she looked at him as if he was a child and not a grown-up man. A laugh then escaped Lana's lips. Adam and Elena were surprised at first by the child's sudden laugh but then decided to join her as they all laughed in unison. 

They walked away from the greenhouse and marched inside the house. Before they got inside, Adam planted a quick kiss on his wife's cheeks. He hears her giggle as she put Lana on a near couch and searches in their pantry for Lana's food.