Chapter 12

Adam Rutherford POV:

When I saw her in that black gown, my breath hitched. The way she looks took my breath away, those black waves of hair and brown big eyes, are perfect. Elena is such a beauty that the man who will have her is a hell of a lucky one.

She is in my arm, too close. I promised myself to not trust women, I should keep my promise unbroken. This is just a deal, I remind myself of it every time I see her. Now that I'm at my family mansion, my mom doesn't like her. But that doesn't matter, my dad matter more.

Elena gesture that we don't wear rings, and god how ignorant I was to not notice. This will look suspicious in front of everyone, my face pales while looking at her.

The entry of my dear lovely brother and his wife, or shall I say my ex, broke our tête-à-tête. Along with my father.

I stand and slide my hand behind Elena's back, and pull her closer to me. When I saw Julia in the arms of Stephan, I couldn't stop myself. I introduce Elena, "Everyone, this is Elena Rutherford. My wife," while lovingly looking at her.

My gaze then wandered on Julia to see how she react, she barely catches herself. She looks sick like she saw a ghost. Stephen's eyebrows shot up in startle, while my mom furiously rubbed her hand.

Though everyone is shocked and mad, my father is smiling. He nodded at me in approval, and I smile at him in return. Elena tries to plaster a smile, but I can feel that she is tensed. Soon, the interrogating session will starts.

Everyone has questions to ask, It is written on their faces. How? when? and why?

"Congrats bro," Stephen smirked. "Never thought you will settle down, and get married, but I see you got yourself a good one."

Typical Stephan with his snarky comments can't amuse me anymore. "Oh yeah, and I didn't steal her from another man, that's for sure," I stated while slightly smiling raising one eyebrow.

Oh god, this night will be fun, especially seeing Julia this shattered and my dear brother mad that his plans will not work.

"Well, you should have told us before. So that we arrange the wedding party, you know that our family has many acquaintances and not every day my son gets married," my mom says while narrowing her eyes towards Elena.

"He is free to do what he likes Kate, I believe my son knows what he is doing," my father pats on mom's shoulder. He looks at me proudly and nodded in approval. For my father I will do anything, knowing that something will make him happy, I'm willing to do it unquestionably.

His face looks hallow and thinner than the last time I saw him. Dark circles shades under his eyes, he looks tired.

"Dinner is served sir," a servant bows to my dad. Elena stand still in my arms and I walk her towards the dining table. Pulling the chair for Elena, I sat next to her. Looking at her I see the discomfort on her face.

"I don't eat chicken," she whispers in my ears leaning towards me. "I don't even like the smell of it, it makes me sick."

Oh, my gaze wanders to what's on the table, at least there is a salad. "Bear with it, can you do that?" I ask concerned.

Her face looks sick but she nodded. My dad sits at the center of the table, my mom at his right, and Stephan at his left. For a brief moment, Stephan looks at me, giving me a look that I know exactly what it means.

I bring some salad to my plate and Elena's one. "Elena," my mother starts to talk. "Do you work? or have any profession?"

Elena tense at my mother's question, but I look at her with a smile to encourage her.