Chapter 33

She looked up and time froze at that moment

It's as if everything around them froze. Voices were muted, hands and lips parted to a halt, and colors in the background became grey. 

why are you here? her eyes wondered, looking at him in longing. Is it really him? after all this time? 

I  had missed you, his eyes softened as he ran his gaze on her features and it felt as if he was scared to lose her again or blink and she won't be there. 

"It has been a while," his voice, the one thing that she thought would never hear again, seemed to resume everything around them. Her hand was still holding the pen that she nearly forgot about its existence. 

"Yes," she nodded. But for her, it wasn't a while. It felt like an eternity. And she couldn't ignore the pang in her chest, for the more she looked at him, the more memories of everything they shared flashed across her eyes. 

Adam's eyes then slowly marched towards her hands, searching for a ring that might gracefully lace her ring finger. There was none! and he can't help but sigh in relief since it's not late yet. He will justify his actions and tell her about his illness, and she will understand, won't she? 

Elena's gaze scanned his tired features and the shadows that painted under his eyes. She will be able to tell him the truth about Felix and what he did. She will tell him about the choice that she made that day and she will tell him about his child that she lost. Perhaps he will understand, won't he?  

"Well, are you not going to sign that," Adam smiled, gesturing to the book that was still open without her signature. 

Elena snapped from her haze, her cheeks blushing in embarrassment. "Yeah, sure."Her hands gracefully signed her name while her fingers slightly trembled. She raised the book in both hands, handing it to him. 

Their fingers were slightly touched, and by that, both of them flinch as if they touched fire. For through the past three years, Adam and Elena have thought about how they will react if they see each other again. But they didn't expect it to be this way. A hug or even a kiss full of tears, but definitely not this.  

She lowered her gaze while she lowered her hands off the book and tightened it in fists by her side. She can't seem to make herself look at him, for if she looked she can't guarantee what his ocean eyes will reflect. And she felt exhausted from emotions that attacked her from the early beginning of hearing his voice.  

His hand tightened around the book's spine, marking his hands with apparent blue vines. He, on the other hand, froze his gaze on her trembling lips and fluttering lashes. Maybe he shouldn't have come. Maybe she finally moved on, and his presence after years disturbed something. 

They debated many things in a matter of seconds. 

"The greatest writer of all time. My star! are you not done yet?" Eric questioned playfully. His eyebrows knotted in confusion as his gaze scanned Elena's posture with her head slightly dropping and the back of a man that he didn't see his face. 

Elena's head snapped as Eric's voice gradually invaded her haze and train of thought. Her eyes looked at him in pleading, and he nearly swear that he witnessed unformed tears. 

Adam's shoulders tensed before he made a turn to look at the one who spoke a second ago behind his back. He is the man he witnessed earlier lifting Elena in his embrace. And he can't help the bitter taste of jealousy that spread in his mouth and panged his chest in tightness. 

Eric stilled in his place, his legs felt heavy and planted in the grounds as stones. He knew who he was. He is the man who had her, the only woman Eric wanted but couldn't have. He is her ex-husband. Adam Rutherford.