Chapter 16

Elena Parker POV:

"What the hell you got yourself into?" James's eyes widened while shaking his head in disbelief. "Is this even real? is your father really in debt?" 

Did he really just asked that. I let out a breath, the coffee aroma filling my nostrils. Looking around the coffee shop, a couple sat at the right corner. They had their hands tangled while they sipped their coffee. 

I returned my gaze to James, "What is that suppose to mean?" I asked coldly barely finding my voice. 

"You tell me," he raised his shoulders. Shaking his head, ginger-brown locks brushed his forehead, month before this moment  I would have an urge to brush it off. Now I don't. 

"James, I explained this before, don't you ever doubt my credibility, you out of everyone know me since we were kids. I made a decision for my father and if you don't believe this, you are free to do so." 

My tone came sharp and firm, it wouldn't occur to me ever that James out of everyone will not understand. Hands trembling, I reached for my americano. Sitting across from him feels strange and distant as if I don't know him anymore. Maybe I don't. 

"Well, what do you expect me to say? I saw you with him in his office and for god sake, the man was half-naked. And then you left from the Millwards with him and stayed in his apartment. Does all of that not say anything?" he asked throwing his hand in surrender. 

"I spilled coffee on him that day, and he was changing his shirt. I know it looked inappropriate but I stormed in to apologize. And about the Millwards, I was drunk and guards were coming," I fired back, feeling frustrated. 

"Listen, James, I'm not going to justify anything. You don't believe me and that's ok, everyone has their own opinion," I added not feeling like carrying on the conversation. I can't believe that I was happy and hopeful, thinking that I haven't lost my best friend. 

He sarcastically laughed, his laugh ringing, drawing the attention of the young couple and catching me in surprise, "You know Elena, no need to include your father in the lie. Just say that you wanted the money and that you sold yourself to a middle-aged creep, willingly." 

Blood ran cold in my vines, my breath quickened feeling like being choked. A ringing in my ear, did he just said that or I'm being delusional?

 I looked at him in disbelief, "You failed me, James. You are Pathetic," my voice shook in pain, feeling betrayed and broken. I loved him, I truly did. Why did people fail me like this? My father failed me when he didn't hesitate to get me married to a stranger to save his bookstore. 

God, he didn't even ask or question what kind of a person Adam is. Now, I'm failed by James. The boy I loved, the boy I grew up with. My childhood friend, my first crush. My head pounded in pain, my gaze settled on him. 

He looked at me blankly, "I called your dad, you know what he said?" he tilted his head, and a frown crept on his face. 

Eyebrows knotted in confusion, "What?" 

James brought his face forward, extending his arms on the table. "He said that his business is doing fine, he hadn't asked you to do anything for him. I told him about Adam Rutherford, and he said he never heard of that name. Now, who is pathetic, Elena?" 

A bitter smile reached my lips, a spike of thorns rested in my throat. My father wouldn't say such a thing, he wouldn't lie. I'm his daughter who got herself in a marriage to pull him out of debts. Maybe I really am pathetic, I love people around me and they fail me in every possible way. 

"Yeah, you are right James. I'm the pathetic one," my smile didn't waver. He looked at me, running his gaze at my entire, "I don't know you anymore, never in my life will think that you would do such a thing. You disgust me, you make me sick."