Chapter 17

Adam Rutherford POV:

Her eyes flutter while it closed, those huge brown eyes that were stung with tears moments from now. She slammed my chest, expressing her hate towards me. As her damp wet clothes hugged her like a second skin. 

"I know," I mumbled while embracing her shaking figure. Her state isn't good at all, and it wrenches my heart to see her broken like that. It's my mistake to shout at her, I should have known better. 

Her body stilled, breathing steadied. She fell asleep. My arms lightly brushed her to look at her face, under her closed eyes rest crimson stings. Wet strands of hair brushed her cheek, looking tired and sad. Nothing like what she was this morning.

She was happily texting her friend, and I know she met him. I guess it didn't turn well, even though I called James to assure him that our marriage is not real. She loved him, and I saw that I should help even if it will cause my heart to wrench. 

I care about her more than I should. 

My right arm slide under her legs, while my left one found her back. Lifting her from the ground, her head leaned on my shoulder. Her smell like berries waves through my nose, filling my entire. The same smell that clinged to my shirt, the shirt that is kept unwashed in my closet Because it has her smell. 

Walking towards my room, I carefully laid her in my bed. Then it occurred to me that her clothes are still wet, and she probably might catch a cold. My gaze lingered at her body, t-shirt hugging her torso and chest. Heat rushed my body and I quickly looked away. 

How I'm supposed to change her clothes? I sighed wiping my hand on my face. Stepping away from the bed, I reached my closet. My hands found a blue long sleeve shirt of mine. I guess I have to undress her. 

Hands-on her t-shirt collar, I quickly yanked it up her arms. Glancing from the corner of my eyes, I can see her grey bra. Avoiding looking at her chest, I slide the shirt in her arms and swiftly buttons it. Heat rushed in me, I can't remember the last time there was a woman in my bed.

This is her second time to be in my bed.  

I unbutton her jeans, trying to breathe. I slide it from her thighs, looking away. Releasing a breath, I brought the covers over her. The rain had stopped by now, but the room is still partly dark. 

My sight settled on her, what are you going through, Elena? It's too much to bear, I know. She is just a twenty years old college kid, her only concerns should be passing a subject or not getting a good grade in another. Not this, this mess. 

Phone ringing tone cut my thoughts, and I step out of the room. 

"Hey Finn, how are you, buddy?" I asked. 

"Great, listen about what you asked me to look for,..." he trailed, papers shuffling sound crept through. I steadied my breathing, wanting to hear what he found. "Mark Parker is a gambling man, his bookstore is out of business because of that." 

I felt like a buckle of cold water had been dropped on me. Gambling? I knew that Elena's father has debts that I paid in exchange for her to be my wife, but I didn't know it was because of gambling. God, the man made his daughter pay for his own issues, manipulating her to save his ass. 

What kind of a father is he? 

"Are you there, Adam?" Finn asked. I snapped from my thoughts, "Yeah, anything else?" 

"Not really, there is something though. I don't know if it concerns you, but according to his bank account details, his daughter's college fees will be cut due to her father's financial status."