Chapter 6

Elena Parker POV:

Tears were streaming down my face and a headache has been killing me for hours now. I'm on the highway, it's 6 in the morning and I need to catch my 8 o'clock lecture. 

I spent the night at our house, crawling at my bed, thinking about what to do next. Am I just gonna simply marry someone that I barely know? Damn, he is my professor and we have a fourteen years age gap. What if he turns out to be some kind of a freak?

My wet eyes widened at the thought, but what I got to say I need to save my dad. My headache increased of a lack of sleep. I barely slept for two hours last night, let alone have a lecture after four hours of driving. What could be worst? 

I truly have zero power to face him or even talking to him. My stomach turned when the thought of seeing him came. I feel disgusted with myself that I'm selling myself for money. Nausea took over me, and I pulled over feeling sick.

I hurriedly open my door and heavily vomited the cereals I had earlier. I coughed feeling sick and searched for my water bottle. Few drops spilled on my white dress, ignoring it I went back to the road feeling better. 

The radio is on but this time it's not country music, it's sad songs. Even the radio isn't helping.

My eyes are closing but every time it did I would increase the music sound. The sun didn't rise yet, and the place was still dim. Opening the window, the cool breeze swung my hair. 

Checking my phone I found a few texts from Laura and James. They are both mad that I didn't ask them to accompany me, and I am glad I didn't. I just don't like to involve my friends in my personal family matters. 

If Laura happens to know about this she will probably romanticize the whole thing, while James will talk for hours about how weird and inappropriate the situation is. I truly have zero power to talk or see anyone I just want to get away from this mess. 

But I'm not selfish to leave my father, when I can save him. I gotta stay strong and do it, even though I don't know Mr. Rutherford's genuine intentions. For my father, I would do anything. 

When mom passed away he had the chance to remarry, but he chose to not. He devoted himself fully to raise me without missing anything. His favors are unforgettable, and now it's time to pay him back.

The university campus is visible by now. Getting through the main gate, I groaned in annoyance parking my car. Great, now I have to go through Laura and James's interrogation, plus attending my soon to be husband class. What a day!

Struggling to stay awake, I made my way towards the cafeteria to get some caffeine. I prayed quickly that I don't come across Laura or James or else I am done. The cafeteria is crowded as usual. Standing in the line to order, I sense someone approaching me. 

My gaze is now settled at the last person I want to see today. Her light blonde hair is curled neatly, and her short skirt is showing her long perfect legs. She is standing like a queen and I can't deny that Caitlyn is indeed gorgeous. 

It's just her attitude that made most of the people here hate her. Girls envied her prettiness while boys wish if they can date her. 

"Hey, Elena it has been so long," she sweetly said while batting her eyelashes. Oh, am lucky that she is sweet today, which is rare. Maybe her engagement with that rich boy made her abandon her rude attitude. 

"Yeah," I awkwardly said. There is something missing though, where is her other friend. The one that always followed her. Trying to remember her name, it was Kate! 

"Where is Kate by the way?" I asked. It's not curiosity or anything but she used to follow her like her shadow. Weird, they never parted. 

Caitlyn looked annoyed for a second, "She tried to hook up with my fiance, so I dumped her," she harshly said.