Chapter 32

'The heir of Rutherford Industries has recently ascended the throne after his father's death. Despite being younger than his brother,  Adam Rutherford is officially the new CEO of Rutherford Industries. We will be back with more news about the mysterious son that was hidden away from the media.

Lifting her cup of tea to her lips, it came to a halt stopping midway. The hairdresser carried on curling her client's black hair while stealing glances at the huge screen of tv that centered the room. Then marching her glance at her client's face that was reflected in the mirror, it was frozen in a blank stare. 

The teacup remained hanging. 

Her mind kept telling her not to look at the screen, for his pictures will surely fill the screen. Her hands shuddered and she nearly spilled tea on her dress before another hand come to the rescue. Laura lightly set the teacup on a near tray, her chest tightening at her friend's state. 

"I'm just...." Elena's voice disappeared before she finishes her sentence. 

"It's okay." Laura's hand rested on Elena's shoulders giving her a reassuring squeeze. 

Her gaze finally gave up and marched to the glowing screen. He stood in a suite. Shadows painted his undereye. His eyes coldly looked forward.

He is changed. She thought. And he will never know the truth.

Her next gesture came unconscious as her arms hugged her stomach while her eyes remained glued to his picture, and tears formed in her eyes fogging her sight. Laura stood behind Elena, gazing at her broken friend. Indeed she was aware of her best friend's pain and she understood exactly what that gesture referred to, and the gloomy memories of death that it brings. There is barely any remanence of the girl she used to know.

Elena's mind rushed with memories of him. She missed him every single day and memories of the day she made a choice that changed everything, a choice that still hunts her every single night. Alas, It has been three years with a broken heart and a lost child. His child. 

"Okay. Done!" The hairdresser exclaimed, showering Elena's hair with a generous amount of hairspray. They almost forgot about her, but then Elena pulls herself out of her haze along with Laura who wiped an escaped tear off her cheek. Elena's gaze marched on her reflection in the mirror. 

Her long strands twirled in big curls, with a beautiful shine. Laura's lips twitched in a smile, "looking pretty as you always do. You know I always envied your black hair. Maybe I should dye my hair next time." 

"You have been saying that for a long time." Sophie, the hairdresser mockingly said while playfully gazing at Laura. Elena laughs at Sophie's remark, and by looking at her friend's expression her laugh grew louder. 

Laura's lips pouted in an attempt to look angry but she failed miserably. "Yeah, whatever," she casually waved her hand in front of Sophie and Elena that stopped laughing eventually.  

"I feel betrayed. You are conspiring against me with your hometown people." Laura dramatically put her arms on her head. It made all the sense because Laura is a Drama student, and her acting as if she is on a stage is justified. 

They were in Elena's hometown. The town where she grew up and weaved her dreams on its hills. She always wanted to be a writer and when she finally accomplished that, it was her town that she wished to witness her achievement first.

The publishing house protested against doing a book release in a small town instead of the city. Even though the invitations were distributed with an address located in the city, she insisted on her decision until they gave in.