Chapter 14

Adam Rutherford POV: 

Sleep didn't visit me tonight, and how come I sleep when she rest in my embrace sobbing. Tears stained my shirt, now I hear her soft steady breathing. She slept in my arms, her body in touch with mine. This is not right, this deal should end as it started. No touching, no feelings.

But when she sobbed under the cover, I couldn't just leave her broken that way. She said she feared thunderstorms but I knew that it's this situation that makes her cry. So, I took her in my embrace.  

Then why do I want to freeze like this forever, with her sweet smell filling my entire? The memory of her soft lips on mine, she was drunk, but it left me shattered for days. Her broken smile, even with the sorrow that glint in her eyes. 

I shouldn't have chosen her. I wanted someone who won't catch feelings, I guess I'm the one who will. She is still young and inexperienced, she will find herself someone of her choice and move on with her life. One year and she will be gone. 

Why the thought of her absence aches my heart with a knot in my throat? I shouldn't have done this, but then my father is dying. I left him for too long when I shouldn't have. He is dying and I can't do anything except this. 

He wanted me to get over what Stephan did, and come back home. I did. He wanted me to get married and see me settled before he is gone. I did. He wants me to have the family business, a burden that he can't leave for Stephan. I will. 

He wants a lot of things because he is sick and dying. If he wants it, I'm doing it. He needed me, and I left him because of a god dammit gold digger and a horrible brother. I will never forget what Julia and Stephan did, not in a million years. 

I dragged Elena into this mess, but I had no choice. She didn't have a choice either, her father is why she is married to me. She is my wife and I'm her husband, in paper only and so it should be. Heck, I'm her teacher and she is my student.  

"James," her mumbling sound cut my thoughts. She slightly moves closer, her head on my chest. James? the friend. The brown ginger hair boy. The one that she lost because of the deal. The one she cried of losing that day. The one she didn't want me to feel sorry for her for losing.

"James, are you here?" she asks. Even though the room is dark, I can tell that her eyes are closed. She is dreaming of her friend, "You believe me, right?" she hummed questioning. 

I breathed heavily, brushing my hand on my face. 

"Don't leave me James, James...." she tossed in my arms, humming his name. My chest tightens, my arms trembles. My blood runs hot in my vines. I want her to stop calling his name, please stop calling his name. She stopped.  

"Please, I love you...." She tossed again and went still. She loves him, and I feel like I got smacked with a wooden plank. No! No! this woman means nothing to me. Elena is married to me for her father's debt. Then why do I feel angry and sad, why do I want to shake her awake and kiss her. 

Why? God, why? 

I slide my arms away from her and slightly brush her hair away. Standing up, I walked out of the room. The rain hadn't stopped yet, the house is awfully quiet. It's 2 Am. I stand in front of the huge window located at the end of the hallway. 

Raindrops slide on the glass. She loves him, she said that. She has the right to, he is a handsome boy. Same age as hers, and he seemed to like her too. Then why there is an ache in my heart? 

"No sleep tonight bro," a sarcastic tone regarded me behind my back. I sighed and turn my back to see Stephan still wearing his suit, and a glass of liquor in his hand. He took a sip, "I guess when you have that woman as your wife, you don't sleep at all." 

My hand curled in a fist, anger washed over me, "Don't you dare talk about my wife, be respectful to your sister-in-law. Oh wait, were you surprised that I married her? too bad you can't have her, are you angry Stephan?  I guess you need to find yourself another plan. You and your pathetic wife." 

I finished my talk while blankly looking at him, folding my arms in front of my chest. He waves his glass, "You know what Adam, you shouldn't have taken it personally. Julia was the one who abandoned you, and why wouldn't she? she chose me over you." 

A laugh escaped my mouth, what a foul my brother is. He deserves it though, to live in misery with that horrible woman. 

He frowned, "Did you know why she left you?" 

My eyebrow arched, waiting to hear the truth that I knew but didn't want to hear. Stephan tilts his head, "I'm the heir of this empire, and you are a pathetic English teacher that wanted a normal life. You didn't want any of this, and Julia did. You know it broke my heart how deeply you were in love with her." 

He laughs and shakes his head, "Oh Adam, my dear brother. You know why I married Julia? It's because I know it will break your heart. I wanted that, I wanted to see the sadness in those eyes. It's because that my father loved you so much, that I no longer think I'm the heir." 

The truth that I ran away from eight years ago, hit me tonight. Hearing it from my brother in blood makes it worse. 

"When you left us, I saw the weakness in our father. He had me and only me at his side, and that made all the differences," Stephan looks at me in despair, making me realize how far my brother went just for the power. He lost me as his brother.

"But I'm here now Stephan," I bat his shoulder and head to my room. This conversation is over, No more of the past. I twisted the knob slightly, to not wake Elena. I made my way to the bed. She is still laying asleep as I left her. 

I stood looking at her, dark strands of hair rested on her face. Brushing them lightly, I laid myself behind her. Keeping a distance between us, I turned my back to the other side of the bed. This is the right thing to be done, No touching, No feelings. 

I close my eyes and wave off the memory of her early confession. She loved that boy, and I don't have to react to it. Even if her last name matches mine, even if she is sleeping in my bed, even if she kissed me and curled in my embrace. 

My eyes feel heavy, and I drift to sleep thinking about what I got myself into.

................................................................

Hey lovelies, how have you been? please comment and vote, It really means a lot for me when I read your thoughts. Stay safe, love ya 💕