Chapter 34

"Just tell me, please. Did we lose a child?"

His repeated question hung in the air unanswered. A few feets separated them as they stood in front of each other debating every decision they made since that ominous day. Alas, it wasn't mere feet that stood between them but three years of longing, regret, and confessions that were trapped in the chests.

At that moment, Adam's mind was crowded with battling thoughts. He was desperate for anything to come out of her lips.

A three letters word that destroyed the mask that painted Adam's features.

"Yes."

Elena's head shook as she nodded. Her throat tightened threatening to choke her with tears. She wandered her gaze, avoiding looking at his statue that resembled a man near the edge of losing his mind. 

Adam's eyes were lost and dim like two pits of ocean water on a dark night. His hands trembled by his side and while she escaped his gaze, he on the other hand had his gaze glued and froze on her. 

His back straightened in a sudden snap. His hand stopped shaking. But his gaze remained as it is. "If I wasn't here today. I will never find out, right?" his jaw twitched as he gritted his teeth. 

Her gut twisted in anxiousness, for she thought about all the words and explanations that she will utter once she is free from that monster that ruined her. However, she suddenly lost the ability to talk as if her tongue was tied. 

"Answer me, Elena."

Words died in Elena's chest. Though she promised herself to tell him about everything, she is doubting her decision at the moment. 

"I thought you moved on," her voice cracked as she spoke part of her thoughts. He didn't ask her why she was leaving that day, and neither does she. Even after Felix freed her from his prison and left one day with a letter that had few words, she thought about finding Adam but thoughts about him starting a new life stopped her. 

Adam's eyes fluttered as they closed in exhaustion. Didn't he think the same about her? Didn't he hate the idea of her with another man? Didn't jealousy burn his chest and filled his mouth with a bitter taste when he saw her with Eric? Indeed, he thought she moved on. 

"I'm sorry, Adam. It is not an excuse that justifies not telling you! but believe me, I didn't have the luxury," she said shaking her head, her eyes watered. "It is my fault. I should have kept him safe." 

"Him?" he asked in what sounded like disbelief. "It was a boy," Adam whispered as if he talked to himself. 

Raindrops lightly tapped the ground as they proceed to wit their attire. They didn't seem to notice until the rain grow heavier. Her eyes streamed tears that intertwined with raindrops that spotted her cheeks. 

"It's a long story," she proceeds to say. Her voice then changed to be laced with blankness and what felt like madness, "a very painful one." 

He moved a step closer, his step uncertain and shaken. God, what happened to her? Did she suffer a lot? Was she in pain? How did she handle it alone?

Unspoken words formed in his chest as his hand reached his hair while his fingers lightly ran over a long scar on his skull. Alas, he too has a lot of things to be said. The illness that deprived him of the possibility of having her, of having a child with her. His Elena! 

"Where are you staying?" His question broke the silence. "Your father's house?" 

She stood still with her dress soaked despite the shivers that attacked her body, she shifted her gaze to the bookstore's doors that aligned behind his back. "No," she shook her head avoiding his intense gaze that felt as if it cornered her.