Chapter 28

Elena Parker POV: 

"I should have done that long time, but me being a stupid idiot didn't do it earlier," It was Stephen who spoke shaking his head. Adam who is seated beside me rested his arms on the table as he leaned forward to his brother's chair. 

"We signed the papers yesterday," he carried on narrowing his gaze towards the crowd of guests who stood at the middle of the room, their hands swinging with a glass of champagne. What he is talking about anyway? 

"You did the right thing," Adam said leaning back to his chair, an assuring smile painting his lips. Stephen nodded his head, and then looked at me. He probably saw the confused look on my features. 

"I got a divorce," he casually said, answering my unasked question. Oh Ok! I didn't know what to say so I just casually nodded my head. The place is more than gorgeous with white lilies filling the room, and gold chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. It's probably the wedding of the year. Magazines will surely have it on their front pages. 

Adam notices my wandering gaze, "like weddings?" 

I looked at him. Yes, I always liked weddings, I find it fascinating and my heart aches when I recall that I haven't got one. "Don't know really, never had one," I said blankly shrugging my shoulders.

Unintentionally my words sounded harsh and blunt. Adam's gaze hardened, and a look of hurt washed his face for a few seconds. The guilt dropped inside my chest, for I never meant my words to be wounding. 

Anxiously, I rubbed my hands noticing the shinning diamond ring that slide on my left-hand ring finger. Before we entered the wedding while we waited in the car for the valet parking man to get the car, Adam took off a black velvet box from his suit jacket pocket. 

He took my hand in his and lightly slided the ring in my finger. It would be suspicious that we are married just with no ring, especially since tonight I will be introduced as Adam's Rutherford wife who came out of the blue. 

Noticing the stares that everyone sent towards me and Adam, made my stomach flip in uneasiness. My gaze then settled on Adam's mom, as she walked approaching our table. "Oh, you are here early," she said smiling. 

She wore a long-sleeved dark blue dress that made her look younger. Adam and Stephen stood to greet their mom. I stood beside Adam and politely shook her hand. Henry Rutherford, Adam's father came seconds later and stood behind his wife. 

Feelings of relief untangled my easiness, the moment I saw his father. He looked genuinely happy to see me, making me feel a little bit welcomed in their family. I smiled at him warmly as I shook his hand. 

"looking beautiful as always," Henry said smiling warmly. My cheeks blushed at his comment, and I shily murmured a "thank you." Adam's mom doesn't look happy with her husband's remark, I could see her frowning. 

We all got back to our seats along with Adam's parents. "Stephen, honey. Where is Julia?" Kate's eyebrows knitted in questioning as she looked at her son. Stephen shifted in his seat and looked at Adam then at his mom. 

"She won't be coming," his eyes narrowed.

"Why not?" her confusion deepened. Stephen looked annoyed and stayed silent in an attempt to let his mother drop off the topic.  Eventually, his mom noticed her son's discomfort and changed the subject, "So, Elena." 

Oh shit, she is coming for me. Shifting my attention towards her, I plastered a smile. "You didn't tell us about your wedding, even though we weren't invited I would love to see the pictures later," then she added, "if you don't mind." 

My smile didn't weaver, in fact, I believe that my face froze oddly. We didn't have a wedding and she know that! Such a wicked woman! I gulped and breathed steadily. She has a huge grin on her face.