Ch. 5: I think that's my cue to leave

That night in Alyssa's apartment had been the beginning of a genuine friendship Mackenzie truly appreciated. Not just the office and party one they had enjoyed before, but something that felt lasting. Alyssa did not judge her, which Mackenzie had needed the most. A friend to talk to and party with who said nothing about her choices in life.

Things slowly came together. A landlord had called back on Mackenzie's inquiry about a small one-bedroom apartment. The building was a dump, and the apartment was nothing to brag about, but it had a new front door and double locks, a functioning kitchen and bathroom, and the rent was low. The landlord's call had come just in time, and Mackenzie had jumped at the opportunity.

Alyssa had promised to help Mackenzie unpack her things in her new apartment the following Sunday. Her boxes and furniture, the moving company had moved earlier in the week. Not that she had brought much. The rest she had sold, and it awaited pick up. She had left a few necessities at her old apartment because she liked it and wanted to stay there as long as she could.

She only had a week left to enjoy it.

It being Friday; she and Alyssa were supposed to meet later that evening for drinks. Mackenzie sat in her office, writing some reports before the end of the day. Reports were the boring part of her job. She hated typing them up, but it had to be done, and she had a few hours left before she could leave.

"Mac, you got five?" Alyssa strolled past her open office door and stopped to look in.

Looking up from her screen, Mackenzie smiled. "Sure thing. Now?"

"Yeah, come with me. I'll introduce you to the hottie of the company."

"Please let him have a nice ass, Al!" Mackenzie wishfully commented.

"He's got a nice, well, everything." 

The cheeky wink Alyssa sent made Mackenzie move fast. She locked her screen and got up, grabbed her purse, and followed Alyssa through the office, up the elevator five floors, past an empty front office, and into a big office down the hall.

The office was empty, like the front one.

It was very tasteful, though impersonal.

A massive, polished desk dominated the room. Another desk stood against the wall, next to a partially open door, with four large tv screens on the wall above, showing different stock rates. Designer bookshelves with binders and books graced one wall, whereas the others held some pretty, though generic, pictures. Floor-to-ceiling windows, like in all the offices facing out. Grey carpet, dark wood, and leather furnishing. To the side of the desk stood two sofas with a coffee table and a plant, giving the room a bit of color.

"Oh, Alyssa, I had meant to talk with you..."

He came walking out of the adjacent room while tying his tie, but stopped halfway out of the door and looked at the two women in his office.

What in the sodding hell was Mackenzie doing in his office?

Gareth had been furious for days after she had slipped out on him. Even after his conversation with Vasili, which had calmed him down a little, he had gone home and gotten drunk.

Stupid drunk.

His ego and libido had suffered a massive blow.

He had smashed a few things he should not have, but he had been pissed, and he could not control his temper. It had taken him days and a lot of alcohol before he had found a resemblance of balance again.

The intensity of what they had shared had made him too caught up in the moment of wanting her to be his. So much so, he had failed to realize what he had put her through. She had tried to tell him, and luckily, he had caught on in time, or she would have had his ass on a plate. That was how much he craved to have her.