Ch. 54: We need an ambulance!

They sat around the conference table close to the communications desk where Richard normally sat. It was not that late, around 10:30 in the evening, but late enough for them to be tired after a long day. Especially with all the emotions from the terrible information about Gareth earlier.

People had needed to process that in their own way.

Cracker had stormed out, and they had not seen him since, which was entirely ok. He had been in charge of Gareth's security; he should have noticed if Gareth changed behavior, and made sure he had bodyguards in the lobby and not just up at the apartment.

They sensed he felt responsible.

Vasili had stayed but allowed himself a timeout in the corner with a bottle of vodka. Zariyah had joined him, along with a few others.

Jace had worked with Blaze on their assignment but had spent some time consoling Richard, who felt feeling extremely bad. It was not his fault what they had found in the pictures, but he blamed himself, nevertheless. Because of his attachment to Mackenzie, he had wanted to be of help, not be the one who destroyed her.

Since Phoenix had come back from helping Mackenzie, people had gone at it with renewed energy. Though the news had devastated them, they worked with even more urgency in finding Gareth's location. Determined to be ready when he needed them.

Everybody had worked, not concerned with how tired they were.

All of them in it 100% for Gareth.

Alyssa had sent Phoenix a text around dinnertime about her and Mackenzie taking a night for girly time to give Mackenzie the evening off for her mental health. They had all agreed that it was best for Mackenzie to have a stress-free evening. They had ordered guards at every entrance to the floor with instructions to just leave the women be.

And then they had allowed themselves to finally sit down with some coffee and proper food. Many had gone to bed, letting the night watch take over, before the next day of finding Gareth. They were about thirty left camped out in the banquet hall, and all of them pretended to relax. All of them with half an eye on their phones or tablets, waiting for updates from their teams or leaders.

"I'm off to bed unless you need me for something?" Zariyah stood up and yawned, looking around at people. She was obviously not tired, just drained. Her mind raced with worries for her son, and trying to keep up appearances became harder for her.

She needed to process in private.

"It's ok, Lady Adjenkov. Sleep well. We'll call if there's news." Vasili spoke gently, reassuring her it was ok to take some time to herself.

Zariyah nodded and left the room with her bodyguards.

Looking at his watch, Gerson stood up too. "I have some pills for Mackenzie to help her sleep. Want to come, Phoenix?"

"Yup. Just a sec."

To make sure he left nothing unattended, Phoenix coordinated with people to see if everybody was on top of things.

Jace, Blaze, and Richard had the night shift, though they looked extremely tired after a full day shift too. It was, however, important for them to compile a list of contractors for the men to investigate as soon as possible when the companies opened the following Monday. Some might even be open during the weekend, and they needed to hit the pavement on those.

Vasili had moved into the banquet hall from day one. He had made a bed at the far end behind some screens and refused to leave and go to a room, but he had given himself time to sleep now and again.