Ch. 35: Be at peace, Baby

Since Gareth had a meeting he could not get out of, and Phoenix had set Jace's birthday party for nine in the evening, because then everybody would be done with their day and able to attend, Mackenzie made her way to Neville's Sports bar to pass the time with the other people from Granston's for the Friday bar.

Gareth had said they could grab a bite before the party.

Phoenix had not wanted something big with a lot of food when the party got held in a hospital room. He had requested a birthday cake, which Mackenzie gladly had made and gotten delivered to The Mansion. Natalya was in charge of drinks, and Phoenix's mom had already decorated the room like a kid's birthday party days prior.

Not that it needed balloons and streamers added to the flower-power wonderland she had already made the room into.

Walking in, Mackenzie instructed her bodygoons to find a table and lie low. They were more than happy to be at a bar compared to some of the salons and dress shops Mackenzie dragged them to, so they went to a table with big smiles on their faces.

Like last time, the atmosphere appeared relaxed and welcoming. People stood in groups around tables, talking and drinking. Same scenario, different day. It was nice that one thing had not changed, Mackenzie liked that. She needed that.

She easily found Eve and her harem of men from the last time. Dieter and Christian being among them. Mackenzie waved at her and joined them. Eve practically jumped up and down with joy at Mackenzie being there.

"Oh, my God, it's so nice to see you again," Eve gushed in her usual happy excitement. "Have you been sick again? You've not been to work much this week?"

"No, not me. A friend of mine had an accident and is in a coma. We take turns sitting with him."

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

How Eve went from super excited to caring and empathetic in 0.1 seconds was a masterful skill to hold.

"Will he be ok?" she asked with genuine concern as if she knew Jace.

Mackenzie blinked away a few tears. "We don't know. We've not lost hope. It's a hard wait, though."

Eve grabbed Mackenzie's arm and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Come, have a drink or two. It probably won't help, but it can't make matters worse either."

True story.

Christian went to the bar to get drinks, and Dieter was at Mackenzie's side in moments. It did not escape Mackenzie's attention; she just did not care. And it did not bother her. Maybe being married did that to her?

"I'm sorry about your friend. It's good to see you again, though. How are you?"

"I'm good. And you?" Mackenzie answered in a clipped tone.

"Great, now that you're here." Dieter made no effort to hide the underlying meaning.

It was not a conversation Mackenzie wanted to get into. She ignored his obvious attempt and turned all her attention to the conversation at the table.

Dieter apparently knew better than to push it.

Two drinks in and a lot of cheerful talk later, Alyssa joined them as planned. She was going with them to Jace's birthday party. It was nice she and Cracker had hit it off that well. Alyssa was so in love and Cracker, incredibly and adorably, whipped. He did everything he could to make her happy.

That blind date was one of Mackenzie's best ideas to date.

"Girl, I'm so excited about that business trip next week."