2 With or Without You: Part 5

I passed through a few towns, and after about two hours, police sirens came on behind me. I groaned to myself and pulled over as the flashing lights got nearer. Please keep going.

"Damn it." I sighed as the cop car came to a stop about ten feet behind me.

The officer got out of the vehicle and began walking towards me. My heart raced as I turned the bike off and removed my helmet.

"How are we doing tonight, sweetheart?" the officer asked.

"I'm good," I said anxiously. "How are you, sir?"

"I can't complain. Now, do you know why I pulled you over?" he asked.

"I'm honestly not sure," I lied through my teeth.

"Well, see, the thing is that a bike, just like that one there," he said as he pointed to Kyle's motorcycle. "Was reported stolen a few towns back. You know anything about that?"

I shook my head, trying to look shocked. "I can't say I do."

"I'll just need to see your license and registration. Once it comes back clean, you can be on your way," the officer said.

"Is it okay if I step off the bike? They're in the saddle." I smiled sweetly.

The officer took a step bike. "Of course."

I stepped off the back and turned toward the saddle, opening it carefully, trying to take my time to think, without tipping him off that something was up. I pulled my "license" out of my backpack easily, but now I had to search for the registration. I pulled my backpack the rest of the way out and looked into the bag, hoping it was going to be in the bottom like the dumbass put his keys, but it wasn't there.

"Is there a problem, miss?" the officer asked."

"Oh, no, no," I said, trying to maintain a calm voice.

Then I spotted a zipper inside the bag and quickly unzipped it. When I opened it, the registration was sitting right inside.

"Here it is." I turned around and handed the officer the registration.

"And your license," the officer said, still holding his hand out towards me.

I reached to hand him my license and let it slip through my fingers.

"Oops, sorry about that," I said sweetly.

The officer bent over to pick up the license. "Don't worry about it, darlin'. I'll get it."

I slung my bag over my back and quickly hopped on the bike, started it, and hit the gas as fast as I could, squealing the tires as I took off. I heard the sirens wail behind me, but they quickly faded into the distance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

November 9th, 2013

Once I passed a sign going into Sweetwater, Texas, I ditched the bike in an alley and pulled a different sweatshirt out of my bag.

I walked to the nearest gas station to grab something to drink and a hat, but when I looked at the cash I had in my pocket, I only had a couple bucks. So, I grabbed a drink from the cooler and a beanie off the rack. I made sure nobody was looking, and then I slipped the hat into my jacket. I quickly paid for my drink and then walked out.

As I walked back to the road, I ripped the tags off the beanie and twirled my hair into a bun before pulling the hat over my head. I started walking down the street when a car pulled up next to me.