7 Moth into Flame: Part 4

I don't know how many hours passed before she came back into the room. Honestly, it felt like days. My wrists were covered in dried blood from trying to loosen the ties around them. If I couldn't heal myself, they would be completely raw at this point.

"Okay, I think I worked something out, so we can both be happy," she said as she paced in front of me.

"Oh yeah, and what's that?" I asked.

"Since killing you won't solve my problems, then I'm prepared to make a deal," she said confidently.

I raised an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to let me in on this deal she cooked up.

"So, I let you go, you let me go. You return to your hunter friends and tell them you took care of me. That way, we go our separate ways, no one dies, and I have no one chasing after me." She nodded. "Yeah, that's about it."

I shook my head. "Nah, I don't like that deal."

"I could easily kill you right now. I have the power here," she said.

"You're just gonna go out there and kill more people. I can't just let you walk away," I said.

She laughed. "You aren't exactly in a position to let me do anything."

Then we heard a door creak and heavy footsteps echo throughout the building above us.

"Who's that?" she asked angrily?

I shrugged. "How would I know that?"

She glared at me. "Just stay quiet."

Then she moved behind a pile of boxes and waited there to see if anyone was going to come down the stairs.

A few minutes later, a young man about my age descended the stairs with a machete in hand. We made eye contact, and I subtly directed his attention to the boxes with quick glances.

He nodded and walked over to me. "Hey, you okay?" he asked with a slight southern accent.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm—"

Then the girl jumped out from behind the boxes to attack him while he had his back turned.

"She's a ghoul!" I yelled.

He smiled. "Easy."

He swiftly turned and sliced her head clean off as she finished lunging toward him. Then he turned his attention back to me but hesitated before moving to untie me.

"Hey, I know you," he said, "You're the rude girl."

I furrowed my brow. "Excuse me?"

He nodded as he started untying me. "Yeah, the other day at the gas station, you walked straight into me. Barely acknowledged it." He chuckled. "Small world." He stood up as he finished untying the last rope and held his hand out to me to shake. "I'm Jake. Garth sent me to find you. You're Maddison, right?"

"Uh, yeah." I hesitated to shake his hand. "Nice to meet you..."

"He said you might be in trouble, and I was nearby, so I came to check out the place, and sure enough, he was right." He chuckled. "I thought you were a hunter."

I stood up and walked past him toward the stairs, now a little annoyed by him. "I am."

"You came here alone," Jake said as he followed behind me.

I glanced back at him. "So did you."

"Yeah, to save your ass." He shrugged. "Besides, I always hunt on my own. Kinda like a lone wolf that way."

I rolled my eyes and continued up the stairs. "Wow, you're super cool." I feigned being impressed.

He chuckled. "All right, rude girl. I'm not the one that got kidnapped by a ghoul."