8 Overkill: Part 1

March 31st - April 1st, 2014

I stood in the research room at the cabin, staring at the pegboard covered with newspaper clippings and printouts of various articles. All of this work, and we still didn't have a substantial lead on Kevin's whereabouts. The pegboard was covered in red yarn that stretched from the center like roots of a tree.

Each and every lead we had followed up on wound up being a dead end. Some we chased down for weeks, hopping from breadcrumb to breadcrumb only to come up empty-handed.

I had been staring at the board for what felt like hours. Just going over everything once again to see if we missed anything or overlooked an alternate path.

"Hey, everything okay?" Nate asked as he walked through the door behind me.

I shook my head and sighed. "I just feel like there has to be something we missed, but none of us know how to track people online. Both Sam and Dean know how to do that, but I never learned, and I feel like that has to be the missing piece here."

"Do you know anywhere else Sam could have gone?" Nate asked.

"No, I don't think so. The last I knew... he was pretty comfortable in Keene with Amelia," I said.

"The guy who ran the motel said that they left town going north. Maybe that's something?" Nate asked.

I sighed. "I mean, he ditched his phone and left the motel. At this point, I don't think we have any chance of finding him."

"Okay." Nate shrugged. "So, what's the next move?"

I shook my head. "I honestly have no idea. We can't find anything on Dean. Or Kevin. And we don't know where Sam is. I don't wanna give up, but we are putting a lot of effort into people who either don't want to be found, or there's absolutely no way to find."

"So, what are you saying?" Nate asked.

"I think that we just need to focus on people that we know we can help," I said.

"Are you sure you wanna do that?" Nate asked.

I nodded. "Look, I'm not saying that we stop looking for them completely. I just think we need to pull back a little and focus on cases. We've only had one in over a month. Plus, I think that's what Dean would want me to do, get back to our roots... saving people, hunting things, ya know?"

"Okay, if that's what you wanna do, I'm right here with you," Nate said.

"I mean... for now, I think that's best," I said sadly.

Suddenly, Garth walked in with a huff.

Nate turned to him. "What's wrong, man?"

Garth shook his head. "I don't know what to do. I sent two hunters out on a case and haven't heard from either of them in over a week, and bodies keep piling up."

"What were they hunting?" I asked.

"It was supposed to be a simple werewolf case. I even did all the research for them. It should've been a cakewalk." He shrugged. "But I should've known better that Wally couldn't handle it yet. I just thought because Luke was with him, it would be fine."

"Is Wally new or something?" Nate asked.

Garth shook his head with a sigh. "No, not exactly."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Well, Wally's had a lot of mess-ups in the past. The last hunt he went on resulted in the death of another hunter. They were on a demon case, and Wally didn't do the devil's trap by the book and missed a couple symbols," Garth explained. "With all his mess-ups, he was basically shunned by any hunter that knew him, but he was begging me to help him get back into it. So, I thought I would ease him back and have him work with someone who was willing and had the time to train him. Luke was supposed to call me every night with updates on Wally's progress so we could decide together what to do with him after the case was done, but I haven't gotten a call in days. I'm worried one or both of them is seriously hurt."