10 Creeping Death: Part 3

We drove out of town and down a long road with an abandoned cemetery, finally arriving at Family Heart Funeral Home. It looked pretty normal from the outside, like any other mortuary or funeral homes I had ever seen, but then Nate and I got a better look at it. The windows were covered with boards, and the front doors were boarded up as well.

"So, this is it, huh?" Nate asked as he put the car in park.

I nodded, looking up at the once white house, but it was now gray and full of dark green mildew.

We stepped out of the car and walked up the path to the front door.

Nate shined his flashlight over the door. "It's boarded up pretty tight."

"Weird. Didn't Amy say the police checked the place out?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, she did."

"Would they have sealed it back up like this?" I asked.

Nate shook his head. "I don't know. The boards do look pretty old, actually."

"Hmm." I hurried back over to the car and grabbed a crowbar out of the trunk before rejoining Nate.

"Here, let me," he said as he took the crowbar out of my hands and started prying the boards off.

I stepped back and looked up at the building. Like I said, it looked like any other funeral home, but there was something off about it, like the air was colder or something. Just thinking about all of the horrible things those people had to go through made a shiver run down my spine. It was pretty unsettling.

Nate finished prying off the board and looked at me. "Let's go," he said as he opened the door and took the first step in.

I nodded and followed him inside. The place was dusty and had a very stale smell. Nate shined his flashlight around the rotting entryway.

"Let's find the basement," I said as I stepped through the doorway into the main area of the house.

He nodded and followed quickly.

There was a thick layer of dust across everything, even the floors.

"I'm so confused. There's no trace of anyone being here in years, let alone the last week," I said.

"I know. Are we sure we got the right place?" Nate asked.

"Yeah, I mean, you saw the sign outside. It even had Mathew Carter on it. This is the place for sure, but something's not adding up," I said.

Just as I finished my sentence, a loud metal thump echoed below our feet. Nate and I both jumped and spun around. My heart raced, and we looked at each other.

"What the hell was that?" he asked.

"I don't know..." I pulled an EMF meter out of my pocket and switched it on.

When the EMF immediately came to life. There was no mistaking it. Something was there with us.

"Well, this place is bumpin'," I said, "I'd definitely say we've got a ghost on our hands."

"Yeah, I'll say," Nate said as he watched the lights on the meter dance.

I clicked it off and continued shining my light around the room as we walked around to find the basement entrance.

As I was searching, I suddenly heard a loud pop. The EMF meter had turned back on. The whirring was so loud, it was practically screeching.

I quickly pulled it back out of my pocket and tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't.