11 Welcome Home: Part 1

August 28th - August 30th, 2014

We had driven straight through to Ohio and hit Akron in the middle of the night, so we decided to rest for a while at a motel. Garth wasn't having any luck getting through to the hunter that had responded to his post anyway, so we figured we might as well wait until morning to give her another call.

I couldn't sleep at all. The anticipation of getting Dean back and finding out where he had been all this time was the only thing on my mind. Plus, I couldn't understand how Nate got any sleep with Garth's loud snoring.

I finally gave up on trying to sleep and got out of bed, leaving Nate softly snoring away. I quickly took a shower and got dressed. Once I left the bathroom, I found the coffee pot. I made up a pot of coffee and poured myself a cup, added some cream and sugar. Then I sat down at the table, staring at the clock as time slowly ticked by. It was only 3:32 AM.

After a while, I sighed and emptied the rest of my now cold coffee into the sink. Watching the clock was only making the minutes feel like hours. I walked over to the bed and climbed in next to Nate. I laid back and brushed my hand through his soft hair as I watched him sleep peacefully for a moment.

"Hey," I whispered.

Selfishly I wished he would wake up, so the time would pass quicker, but at the same time, I was hoping he would just stay asleep, so he could rest a little longer.

"Huh?" he asked after a moment, his eyes still closed.

"Sorry," I said quietly, "I couldn't sleep."

"What time is it?" he asked groggily, with his eyes still closed. He rolled over and wrapped his arm around my waist, and nuzzled his head against my shoulder.

I glanced at the clock on the nightstand behind him. "3:56."

"Mmm," he groaned as he snuggled closer.

Leaning my head over, I lightly kissed his cheek. "Just go back to sleep. I'm sorry I woke you up," I whispered.

"I love you," he whispered and then started snoring almost immediately.

I smirked slightly. "I love you too."

A few minutes later, I closed my eyes and rested my head on his chest, listening to his beating heart. Until finally, I fell asleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wake up, Maddi," a soft voice said.

"Five more minutes," I moaned. I was blissfully wrapped in my blanket, and I felt like I had only just fallen asleep.

"Maddi," the voice said again.

My eyes popped open when where I was hit me. I looked around the room. Nate was no longer in bed next to me, and the bathroom door was shut. Garth was standing at the foot of my bed.

"Mornin'." He smiled. "I just got off the phone with that hunter. Her name's Joan. She gave me an address and said there were some people there that wanted to talk to me about the post."

I furrowed my brow. "What?"

Garth nodded. "Yeah, I guess they know more about it than she does. I guess she was kinda a middle man or something." He shrugged. "Nate's in the shower, but we're gonna head out once he's done."

"Oh." I sighed, feeling a little disappointed.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Now it just seems too good to be true. Right? Like why would she respond to you and then send us somewhere else?"