9 Wanted Dead or Alive: Part 1

Wally stood, arms outstretched and clutching a pistol. As Nate collapsed, a look of horror came across Wally's face, and he lowered the gun.

"No!" I screamed and hurried toward Nate as Garth took off toward Wally.

"I didn't mean it! I didn't mean it!" Wally shouted.

When I reached Nate, he was groaning and clutching his shoulder. Blood was seeping around his fingers.

"Are you okay?" I grabbed him, my heart racing.

He nodded painfully. "Yeah, just a shoulder shot."

Once I realized Nate was okay, rage exploded inside of me, and I turned to Wally. He was shamefully handing his gun to Garth with a look of disappointment on his face.

"What the hell do you mean you 'didn't mean it'?!" I yelled as I charged up to him. "You shot him!"

Garth turned to me and put his hands on my shoulders, pushing me away from Wally.

"Please, I didn't mean it. I just reacted!" Wally shouted in fear. "This is my whole life. This is all I have left."

Garth shook his head. "I don't think this is going to work. When you're hunting, nobody around you is safe. Not you, your partner, even the people you're trying to save. This just isn't going to work anymore."

Wally collapsed down to his knees. "You're right. I— I don't know what to do anymore."

Garth grabbed Wally by the arm. "You're coming with us. Get up."

Wally got to his feet and started following Garth out of the barn.

I went back to Nate's side and helped him up. "You scared the crap out of me. Don't do that again."

Nate chuckled. "I'm the one who got shot." He started walking away from me to leave the barn.

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Hold on."

I closed my eyes and focused. After a moment, it felt like someone punched me in the shoulder, and then the dull throbbing went away in seconds.

"Thanks," Nate said.

"No problem. Just don't let Wally see that you're healed," I said.

"Yeah, probably a good idea," he said and then put his hand on my back, guiding me out of the barn.

We walked outside towards Garth, who was leaning up against the car.

"Where's Wally?" Nate asked.

Garth gestured towards the back seat of the car.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked.

Garth took a deep breath. "Actually, Wally suggested something that I think will work."

"What's that?" Nate asked skeptically.

"He said that we should bring him to the police so that he can turn himself in for what happened. Tell them everything, well mostly everything, and pay his debt back," Garth said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Seriously?"

Garth nodded. "Yeah, he's way in over his head, and I think he's finally getting that now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We made it back to Garth's cabin a few days later. Wally had given us all of the research he and Luke had found in regard to the werewolf. Hunting them down was reasonably easy. Luke and Wally were actually pretty close to where the werewolves were holed up. Chances are that Katherine and her husband would have been the next victims.