27: Society of Married

"You are avoiding me.",  I finally managed to let out the words that I had been trying to say to him for days.

It was late at night, with the moon high up in the sky. I had finally found him alone after a series of failed attempts. I had followed him to the garden after I saw him standing outside from the window of my room, technically his room but whatever.

My words rang in the air, summoning cruel silence. I saw him stiffen up, noticing my presence but he didn't feel it necessary to turn around and talk to me. I couldn't see his expression since I was behind him. If only I could, I would have gotten a clue about what was wrong with him.

"Why aren't you speaking?", I muttered. "You still want to avoid me here as well?"

"It's nothing. You are thinking too much.", Came his reply, firm and clear.

"Nothing?! Then, why haven't you been talking to me for days?", My temper flared up.

"There was no necessity to."

"No necessity?", I questioned, feeling surprised. I felt an ache in my chest. So, he didn't feel it necessary to talk to me when we didn't need to pretend.

"Why? We were doing fine. After all this time, I thought that we had become friends.....", I swallowed the lump in my throat.

He turned around to face me. I drank in the sight of his beautiful face, which I hadn't seen this close for days.

"We aren't friends.", He remarked. His face was calm and composed, with not even a slightest hint that could betray what he was thinking.

"Why? Did I do anything wrong...?", My voice trembled in the end.

"You didn't do anything wrong.", He said.

"Then, why? Now, you say that we aren't even friends after all this time. What game are you playing?", I stepped closer to him, anger boiling within me.

"I don't play games. That's your speciality, Miss Kim."

"Miss Kim...I see. Well, Your Highness, something has clearly happened for you to be behaving like this. I don't care if you don't tell me. But you are ruining our act."

He turned his back on me once again. Then, he let out an exhale and said, "I just think that it's necessary to maintain distance when it's not required. We have managed to convince everyone. I don't see the point of being beside you 24/7. I need space. We both have better things to do."

The words came crashing down on me, sending a searing pain through my heart. Why is it hurting?

Moisture pricked the back of my eyes. No, I can't cry! Not for a man!

"Alright then....", My voice sounded strained to my own ears. "I see your point. After all, I am just a. . .necessity for you for some months. I will try my best to. . .maintain my distance."

"That sounds good.", His frosty reply came.

I waited for a minute or two. Waited for him to turn around and give me that enchanting smile of his, laugh along with me saying that this was a joke and we were fine, we were good. Waited for him to come back. But he didn't.

I turned on my heels and headed back to my bedroom, without looking back.

A drop of tear slid down my face on the way. His words reminded me clearly how this was all an act and would end in months. I seemed to have forgotten that. But now they were crystal clear to me.