48: Fleeting Life

Jungkook

My eyes fluttered open and I found myself in a field. The sun was shining brightly. The breeze was blowing gently and the field was filled with flowers of all kinds.

I walked through the field and found a Cherry Blossom tree in front of me. It was blooming with lovely pink cherry blossom flowers. A pink petal fell on my hand and I looked up.

A lovely smell of lavender wafted past me. I took a deep breath, inhaling the scent and a smile formed on my face.

"Reina. . . .", Her name slipped off my tongue and I whirled around.

My heart stilled in my chest and all of a sudden, it started thumping fast.

There she was.

Her back was facing me and her white and black attire was fluttering against the wind. Her long hair cascaded down her shoulders like waterfall. She was holding a parasol which had an intricate pattern of Cherry Blossoms.

She was walking away from me.....

I followed her, calling her name. I hoped that she would wait but she just kept on walking.

"Love....Wait....", I called.

"Love....Wait for me......I am coming."

"Love...."

Why couldn't she hear me?

I started walking fast but still, I couldn't catch up to her. She just kept on going. I don't know where.

"Won't you wait for me, love?", I asked, feeling distressed.

She paused.

Finally. I knew she would wait for me.

"Do you know what cherry blossoms mean?", I heard her melodic voice.

I shook my head, though she couldn't see me since her back was still turned towards me.

Heavy silence followed, which almost felt too suffocating.

"Fleeting. . .They represent the fleeting nature of life. . .They have a short lifespan. . . . Yet, when they bloom, they make the whole world happy.", She spoke. "I want to make everyone happy too, Jungkook."

"You want to be a cherry blossom flower.....", The words slipped unintentionally and only when they were out, I felt the gravity of them. The words felt like they were crushing me.

"No....", I ran towards her, wanting to hold her hand, wanting to catch her and never let go.

But before I could touch her, she slowly started disappearing, turning into stardust.

"No! No! Reina!"

"Love! No!"

"No! Come Back!"

I fell down on my knees, trying to catch her but she vanished without any trace.

"You can't leave me, love. You promised you would wait...You promised to come back to me...", Tears trailed down my cheeks.

Life is fleeting. Time is fleeting and love is fleeting. . . .The world is fleeting.

***