Chapter Thirty Four - The Fair Folk

[THE INSTITUTE, STUDY]

[Jace is playing the piano. Sebastian walks past the open door and stands by to listen. When Jace finishes, Sebastian slow claps.]

SEBASTIAN: [entering] Bravo. I had no idea I was in the company of a virtuoso.

JACE: Yeah, right.

SEBASTIAN: No, seriously, it's extraordinary. I mean, I wish I could play like that. Where did you learn? Who taught you?

Jace sighs

JACE: Valentine, if you can believe that.

SEBASTIAN: Huh. I guess even an evil mastermind can appreciate fine music.

Sirius snorted.

JACE: Yeah... maybe a little too much. Whenever I would make a mistake, he'd break the offending finger, then iratze my hand and have me start again.

Everyone gasped.

SEBASTIAN: God, I, uh... I'm surprised you still play.

[Sebastian sits down.]

JACE: Only when the mood strikes.

SEBASTIAN: Is that why you're up so early? Or, wait, did you never go to sleep?

JACE: I just got back from the Hunter's Moon.

SEBASTIAN: Ah, I'm guessing you weren't there for a pint, were you? [Jace chuckles.] It's that bartender, isn't it? The beautiful one.

Maia and Jace both looked away uncomfortably.

JACE: It's nothing serious.

SEBASTIAN: I thought you had a thing for Clary.

Clary flushes.

JACE: Clary? Why would you say that?

SEBASTIAN: Well, I mean, you know... now that she's not your sister. And she's... she's beautiful and fiery, and... What is holding you back?

JACE: Well, she has a boyfriend. She's moved on, I've moved on. It's ancient history

[Sebastian nods thoughtfully. Then Clary peeks her head in the room.]

CLARY: Sorry to interrupt. Um, Alec is about to make an announcement.

"Awkward" said Ginny.

[THE INSTITUTE, OPS CENTER]

[Alec is standing on the platform, speaking to the crowd.]

ALEC: We have lost seven of our own, but we can't allow a single radical Seelie to define the entire Downworld, any more than we can allow Valentine to define all Shadowhunters. So, to restore unity with our allies, I will be hosting regular cabinet meetings here with the Downworld leaders of New York. These meetings will promote...

Everyone grins.

"That's a brilliant idea" said Luke.

Alec smiles.

[Alec's voice fades away, we focus on two of the Shadowhunters, Lindsay and Duncan, in the crowd talking in low voices.]

LINDSAY: I'm all for unity, but does he have to bring them here?

Alec rolled his eyes.

DUNCAN: What do you expect? He's dating a warlock.

Magnus scoffs.