Chapter Seventy - Back to the Burrow

By twelve o'clock the next day, twins school trunks were packed with their school things and all of their most prized possessions - the Invisibility Cloak they had inherited from his father, the broomstick Harry had gotten from Sirius, Rose's signed Cope of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that was also from Sirius,

"I still can't believe your equivalent of a broomstick is a textbook" said Fred shaking his head.

"A textbook signed by Newt Scamander!" said Rose, "Who's only like the best Magiczoologist ever"

Fred rolled his eyes playfully.

 the enchanted map of Hogwarts They had been given by Fred and George Weasley last year. 

Sirius and Remus grinned.

They had emptied their hiding place under the loose floorboard of all food, double checked every nook and cranny of the bedroom for forgotten spell books or quills, and taken down the chart on the wall counting down the days to September the first, on which they liked to cross off the days remaining until their return to Hogwarts. 

"I used to do that" said Sirius nostalgically.

The atmosphere inside number four, Privet Drive was extremely tense. The imminent arrival at their house of an assortment of wizards was making the Dursleys uptight and irritable. 

Simon shivered playfully.

Uncle Vernon had looked downright alarmed when Rose informed him that the Weasleys would be arriving at five o'clock the very next day. 

"I hope you told them to dress properly, these people," he snarled at once. "I've seen the sort of stuff your lot wear. They'd better have the decency to put on normal clothes, that's all."

"Who'd want to be normal?" snorted George, "Especially if Dursley likes it"

Harry felt a slight sense of foreboding. He had rarely seen Mr. or Mrs. Weasley wearing anything that the Dursleys would call "normal." Their children might don Muggle clothing during the holidays, but Mr. and Mrs. Weasley usually wore long robes in varying states of shabbiness.

Harry winced as Molly and Arthur flushed.

 Harry wasn't bothered about what the neighbors would think, but he was anxious about how rude the Dursleys might be to the Weasleys if they turned up looking like their worst idea of wizards.  

Fred and George exchanged a grin, remembering what they would do.

Uncle Vernon had put on his best suit. To some people, this might have looked like a gesture of welcome, but Harry knew it was because Uncle Vernon wanted to look impressive and intimidating. 

"How rude" said Maryse, rolling her eyes.

"You surprised?" asked Luke.

"Yep" said Maryse sarcastically, "Shocker"

Dudley, on the other hand, looked somehow diminished. This was not because the diet was at last taking effect, but due to fright. Dudley had emerged from his last encounter with a fully grown wizard with a curly pig's tail poking out of the seat of his trousers,

Molly shook her head disapprovingly, the kid was only eleven.

 and Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had had to pay for its removal at a private hospital in London. It wasn't altogether surprising, therefore, that Dudley kept running his hand nervously over his backside, and walking sideways from room to room, so as not to present the same target to the enemy.