Chapter Nine - Moo Shu to Go

[THE INSTITUTE]

[Jace holds up the necklace Clary got from her mom].

JACE: And he spoke to you?

CLARY: [nods] He said my name. He said, "Your mother for the Cup".

[Alec stands in the doorway.]

ALEC: Who said that?

[Jace and Clary turn around.]

JACE&CLARY: Valentine.

CLARY: He's with my mother.

ALEC: And he can speak to you through that necklace? Here, in the Institute?

Alec, Hermione, Remus, Rose and Laina just realised how dangerous the situation is.

CLARY: It's like when I saw Dot.

JACE: [looking at the necklace] It's a Portal shard. That's why your mother made sure you had it.

CLARY: All I know is what I saw... My mother's alive. She's unconscious, but alive.

ALEC: Where are they?

CLARY: I don't know.

ALEC: But you said you saw them. Were there any identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?

CLARY: I don't remember. It was awful.

JACE: Alec, lighten up.

ALEC: [to Jace] I'm trying to get something we can use out of this. [to Clary] Clary, what did you see, exactly?

CLARY: Valentine has my mother! That's what I saw.

ALEC: Emotions are nothing but a distraction. You're ruled by them. We're taught to control them.

"How can you believe that" said Ginny looking at Alec.

"What"

"that emotions are just a distraction"

"emotions cloud judgment, and clouded judgement gets you killed"

CLARY: And how is that working out for ya?

ALEC: It is my job to protect the Institute. If Valentine can see in, that's a door I have to shut. Now... let me take a look at that thing.

[Jace hands the necklace to Alec.]

ALEC: Now, it's in the proper hands. [Alec walks away.]

Clary glared at alec.

CLARY: Hey! Alec! Where are you going?

[They walk out of Jace's room.]

ALEC: To put this somewhere safe. Where no one could be tempted to use it.

JACE: We should use it. Alec, we should use it to get to Valentine.

ALEC: If I were Valentine, I'd make sure you think that you could rescue Jocelyn. And then I'd lure Clary to me and leverage her life for the Cup.

"Exactly"said Laina challenging Clary with a glare of her own.

[Alec activates a rune on the floor and a hiding space opens up.]

CLARY: I like Jace's idea. We saved Simon from the vampires that way.

ALEC: Yeah... vampires. Bored, decadent, self-involved vampires. [He puts the necklace in the hiding space.] Valentine is a real threat. He can't be handled by three-and-a-half Shadowhunters.