Chapter Forty Two - The Power That Be

[LORENZO'S MANSION]

[Lorenzo Rey is hosting a party. Alec and Magnus arrive.]

"You brought me along" said Alec in surprise.

Magnus shrugged.

MAGNUS: Well, here we are.

[Alec has eye contact with Rufus who gives him a dirty look.]

"Maybe bringing him wasn't the best thing to do" said Rose.

ALEC: [to Magnus] You're sure bringing me here was a good idea?

MAGNUS: It's better than coming by myself. [taking Alec's hand] I'm joking. They'll love you.

"Sure" said Laina sarcastically "A bunch of warlocks are gonna love a Lightwood"

[They let go and walk a bit.]

MAGNUS: Oh, just because you're the only Shadowhunter at a party full of warlocks doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Laina rolled her eyes.

ALEC: Yeah, well, that's easy for you to say. You've known these people for centuries.

"And I wish that I didn't know most of them" said Magnus.

MAGNUS: You think that's a good thing? Trust me. I don't wanna be here any longer than I have to. But it's tradition for the outgoing High Warlock to pass the baton on to his replacement.

[Magnus looks over. Alec follows his gaze.]

ALEC: Is that him?

MAGNUS: The one and only: Lorenzo Rey, the new High Warlock of Brooklyn.

[Lorenzo sees Magnus and waves his arm.]

"He seems annoying" said Ginny.

"He is" said Magnus.

LORENZO: Magnus! Magnus Bane!

[Magnus wants to walk away, but Alec holds him back and they approach Lorenzo.]

Everyone laughs.

LORENZO: You made it, and you brought a friend.

"Yeah" said Jace teasingly "Just a friend.

Everyone laughs.

ALEC: [holding out his hand] Yes, hi, I'm–

LORENZO: Alec Lightwood, Head of the New York Institute. I expect we'll be seeing quite a bit of each other at your Downworld cabinet meetings. No hard feelings, right, Bane?

"I don't like him" said Rose.

MAGNUS: On the contrary, I'm very content in my new position. Being the High Warlock is a thankless job. Long hours, little pay. But I'm sure it doesn't matter to a young, civic-minded person as yourself

"How old is he" asked Izzy.

"Around 400 years old" replied Magnus.

"He's practically an infant" said Fred jokingly.

"For a warlock that is young" said Magnus.

LORENZO: Oh, don't be so jaded. I may only be 484, but I'm no stranger to service. All those years working for the High Warlock in Madrid have prepared me well. [to Alec] Although, I may not be as easy on you as he was. After all, I'm here to serve the warlocks, not Portal you around, like some glorified shuttle service.