Chapter Thirty Six - Day of Atonement

[ABANDONED CABIN]

[Flashback: There is rumbling in the cabin. A demonic summoning sign appears on the floor.]

Magnus gasped.

SEBASTIAN: [voice over] I've spent years clinging to my memories of freedom, imagining what I'd feel when I finally made it back.

[Out of the flames, a burned man rises.]

Everyone gasps.

SEBASTIAN: [voice over] Would I be happy? Angry? Hard as I try... I could never quite picture it. In the end, I felt nothing. Just the unforgiving cold of the winter air.

[The man looks around and leaves the circle.]

"Shit" said Magnus.

[Cut to cabin in the present.]

SEBASTIAN: I guess it's true what they say. You can never go back home. [leading Valentine to a chair] Sit.

[Valentine sits down and Sebastian ties chains around his feet.]

VALENTINE: Why bring me here?

SEBASTIAN: Because I realized the thing that was missing was you. You made me what I am, Father. Everything you did to me created this. Now it's my turn to repay the favor.

Everyones eyes widened.

[TITLE SCREEN]

[SIMON'S CONTAINER]

[Maia knocks on the door.]

MAIA: Hello?

[When there is no answer, she opens the door and enters.]

MAIA: Hello? Anybody alive in here? [there is grunting coming from the bed] Or anybody dead in here? [Maia approaches the bed and finds Simon moping] Oh, my God. Hey, what's the point of being a Daylighter if all you do is mope around in the dark?

Simon snorted.

[Maia rips off the curtain and light shines in the room.]

SIMON: I don't know. I'm starting to think there isn't a point.

Luke shook his head sadly.

MAIA: Have you been sending e-vites out to this pity party? [sits down on the bed] Luke told me about what happened with Clary. You wanna talk about it?

Clary looks down.

SIMON: If I say no, would you go away?

MAIA: Probably not.

SIMON: I was torn up about everything that happened with Clary. I fed on a mundane.

Simon pales.

MAIA: Look, nobody said being a Downworlder would be easy. We all make mistakes, especially when it comes to love. You just need something to clear your head. [pause] Happy hour at the Hunter's Moon.

SIMON: No, thanks. That's what got me in this mess. Besides, I'm fasting for Yom Kippur.

"That's the Jewish day of Atonement, right?" asked Izzy.

Simon nodded at each other.

MAIA: Oh.

SIMON: It's the Jewish Day of Atonement. Essentially, you don't eat anything to atone for your sins for the past year. And judging my last year, I have a lot to atone for.